Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group 4 - Six vs. Eleven
The Tenant 17 15.18%
Carrie 95 84.82%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Matthew Modine vs. Timothy Hutton

I've always liked them both, although I think Modine has more range. It's also kind of odd that neither really became huge stars.

Hutton does have an Oscar, though, so I give the nod to him.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:27 PM

This is a rather excellent comparison, since these guys have had pretty similar careers in most respects. Both have worked with A-list directors, hit their primes early, and have kinda held on as supporting guys as they reached their late 30's.

Personally, I'd go with Hutton, for two main reasons. First, he has had more lasting power, and secondly, he banged the heck out of Debra Winger during her early 80's slutty prime.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:32 PM

I really like Mathew Modine and he has one of my favorite movie scenes - the scene where he is warming up to wrestle Shoot with Lunatic Fringe playing in the background in the movie Vision Quest.

I think he is also very believable a doctor and I liked him in Gross Anatomy and As The Band Marches On.

What ever happened to him?
Old 07-04-2006, 01:22 PM

utah, last time i saw modine he was playing a crazy murderer on one of the law and order shows...
Old 07-04-2006, 02:03 PM

I voted Modine, for his work in Bye Bye Love, and for his awesome prohornblower-like hair.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since I've never seen any of those Hutton movies nor even heard of Hutton I'll have to go with Modine for the win.

edit: Actually the only movie I've seen on these lists is Full Metal Jacket. How old are these movies?

[/ QUOTE ]

You ought to see Falcon and the Snowman. True story, and Sean Penn as the Snowman was outstanding.

Ordinary People was powerful, (old) Mary Tyler Moore has made my skin crawl ever since.

That said, I voted for Joker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Modine more overall, but give Hutton massive props for Ordinary People, which he was brilliant in.

And Mary Tyler Moore really was great too; I think she shocked everyone.

Dunno what happened to Hutton. He was HUGE after Ordinary People, and Falcon and the Snowman was big, but he seemed to drift away from the biz after making less spectacular moviees later. Wasn't he in Taps, though? That was big for a while.

He surrounded himself with very protective hangers-on, and I'm not sure how much his heart was ever really into the biz and how much he was just wrapped up in his own world. I bumped into him once in the street and he was cool, but his pals were weird, like they were scared someone was going to steal their paycheck by talking to him.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
don't see how modine wont win this easily...he was private joker...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-05-2006, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
don't see how modine wont win this easily...he was private joker...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its more like just getting cast in a role that everybody is going to love because the movie was so awesome. I think he played the role as good as it couldv'e been played, but then again I could easily be making the same statement if someone else had been casted for the role.

I dont think the character Private Joker is anything like Alex DeLarge inwhich without the other M.M. it would not have been as spectacular.

That said, I haven't seen many of these movies listed so I can't comment.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
According to imdb, Modine turned down the role of Maverick in Top Gun

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that would have definatlyey changed the movie for everyone, no more blatant volleyball scene. I dont think it would have been as succesful a movie as the interaction betwee Cruise (dominannt) and Edwards (passive) would have been as good as I cant picture Modine being as aggresive in the role that Cruise portrayed. Modine could never be a "fly boy"

It would be similar to a drastic change in a movie as Star Wars would have been with Nick Nolte as Han Solo