Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Book Suggestions: Swimming To Anartica

Book is Swimming to Anartica, really great book she has many amazing stories, written great, nice and simple. She also seems like a great person, highly recommend.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0156031...943474-4821510
Old 03-04-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Book Suggestions: Swimming To Anartica

One thing that's pretty surprising to me about her is that she did some very impressive things swiming but was working normal day jobs and had no money, had no financial support to do what she did. She had to cash out everything from her own bank account a couple of times to do it. I've always assumed that if you do something that gets you in the news you get rich.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:59 PM

1 - Not sure why you would think doing something newsworthy like that makes you rich.

2 - I saw a story on her on 60 minutes a couple months ago. They were with her when she did the mile swim in the Antartica waters and talked about how scientists are studying how it could even be humanly possible for her to do this when it would kill just about everyone else pretty quickly.
I think they mentioned they knew of just one other person in the world who would be capable of surviving in some of those cold waters for as long.

She does seem like a generally likeable person on TV.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:27 AM

After a quick search online I couldn't find any pictures or videos of her. Supposedly she is fat but how is it even possible for a long distance swimmer, someone who swims daily hard for hours? Also it would be cool to see her in action.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After a quick search online I couldn't find any pictures or videos of her. Supposedly she is fat but how is it even possible for a long distance swimmer, someone who swims daily hard for hours? Also it would be cool to see her in action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the 60 minutes piece.

She was overweight, but not huge. I'd guess around 170-190lbs at 5'5". Watching her wasn't that interesting.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:04 AM

I saw the 60 minutes clip of her as well. She was nice and all but I like Bob was kind of confused by everything, she seemed more lucky than inspirational to me. Someone inspirational to me is someone that fights through all odds and perseveres and in her case her body didn't react to the cold the way it was supposed to and her actual work done was a mile.

Now, I am not bashing her and that is why I said I was confused and that she "seemed" more lucky than inspirational b/c I haven't read the book and the little that I know of her, this is what I think. Maybe the book would enlighten me a little, but I just don't see how she wasn't more lucky than anything.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:14 AM

After your recommendation for Blue Planet turned out to be a great one so I guess I'm getting this one too.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:15 PM

"she seemed more lucky than inspirational to me. Someone inspirational to me is someone that fights through all odds and perseveres and in her case her body didn't react to the cold the way it was supposed to and her actual work done was a mile. "
she wasn't lucky she worked extremely hard. swimming to anartica was just one swim she did, and think about it, the water is 32 degrees and the temperature outside is very cold to, that is unimaginably cold to swim in. she had to fight through a lot to do what she did
Old 03-06-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read an article on her either in the New Yorker or Outside Magazine. Anyway, she said the hardest part of her training was keeping her body fat content high.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw the 60 minutes clip of her as well. She was nice and all but I like Bob was kind of confused by everything, she seemed more lucky than inspirational to me. Someone inspirational to me is someone that fights through all odds and perseveres and in her case her body didn't react to the cold the way it was supposed to and her actual work done was a mile.

Now, I am not bashing her and that is why I said I was confused and that she "seemed" more lucky than inspirational b/c I haven't read the book and the little that I know of her, this is what I think. Maybe the book would enlighten me a little, but I just don't see how she wasn't more lucky than anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

She may have been genetically predisposed to handle cold better than most people but you can make statements similar to any successful athlete. She still had to work very hard at what she did.

She spent a lot of time acclimating herself to the cold. Things like not wearing a coat in the winter, sleeping in the cold and of course swimming in cold water. None of these things are pleasant activities.

I did not see the 60 minutes episode. But my experience with 60 minutes is superficial stories that are totally screwed up factually.