Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Big strike at GM

[ QUOTE ]
Unions help steer money from the upper-class investors toward middle class assembly workers and I think that's a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron,

I find myself in almost total disagreement with you on every issue, which isn't a good sign for one of us. Would you care to explain why this is a good thing? If you disperse these profits, where do the savings come from to invest in new technologies and advance civilization? Do you think there would be a problem with new entrepreneurs not having the incentive to start new projects and create new jobs if they know that the government will institute policies to force them to redistribute their profits?

Are you, or have you ever been, a member of the Communist Party? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also,

[ QUOTE ]
Unions get the government to forcefully steer money from the upper-class investors toward middle class assembly workers and I think that's a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 09-27-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Back in the USSR

[ QUOTE ]
Its sad. Iron is a good guy with a big heart clearly. It's a shame he can't get past his good intentions to see the logic in this. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

iron really doesn't understand economics that well so he falls back on what he believes is liberal ideology. Of course John Kerry would have problems with iron's statment let alone Bill Clinton.

As an aside the Wall Street Journal had a good analysis of this agreement reached between the UAW and GM done in several articles this morning. Well worth reading IMO. FWIW I believe that unions are the strongest these days in the public sector and thats not too surprising. Contrast what government can do to guarantee benefits for retirees and what the private sector can do. That's basically the most important issue in the GM-UAW negotiations, retiree benefits. I think it's clear that being in a union in the public sector is much better.

And for MidGe, foreign automakers do have manufacturing plants in the U.S. and so there are alternatives for auto workers here. I read an article last week stating that VW wanted to start manufacturing cars in the US again and is coming with a plan to do so.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see business as a means to an end: to provide the means for people to make a life for themselves through profit

[/ QUOTE ]FYP

[ QUOTE ]
I read an article last week stating that VW wanted to start manufacturing cars in the US again and is coming with a plan to do so.

[/ QUOTE ] Not to mention Honda is building two plants, Kia is building one, Toyota is building another two, and BMW is doubling capacity in its existing plant.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention Honda is building two plants, Kia is building one, Toyota is building another two, and BMW is doubling capacity in its existing plant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron, do you support the efforts of Japanese, Korean, and/or German workers/unions protesting this outsourcing of domestic jobs to the US?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not to mention Honda is building two plants, Kia is building one, Toyota is building another two, and BMW is doubling capacity in its existing plant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron, do you support the efforts of Japanese, Korean, and/or German workers/unions protesting this outsourcing of domestic jobs to the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, why not? They have free speech and the right to walk off the job. However, I would prefer that those factories be built here.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, why not? They have free speech and the right to walk off the job. However, I would prefer that those factories be built here.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why do you hate Asian people?