Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2007, 05:25 AM

Default Post a common leak and how to fix or take advantage of it (CASH/TRN).

I saw this in the mid stakes forum a while back and decided it would probably do some good here.

Post either a common leak for the hero and how to fix it, or a common leak for the villain and how to take advantage of it.

Since HU has a lot to do with adapting to players, a thread like this should deliver some interesting discussion on fixing our own flaws or taking advantage of the flaws of our victims.

I don't see why this thread can't apply to both cash and tournament; however, if it only applies to one be sure to state which one you are talking about.

This one may seem too easy but it is a start:

*NLTRN*Villain is smashing all-in preflop 75-80% of his hands.

Obviously, the amount of time you can wait for a hand is dependent on the size of the blinds. The best thing you can hope to catch is an overpair, but you will likely be run over if you try to wait that long.

Against these players it is very easy to have an edge by calling with ace or even king high, but your edge can be stretched well beyond a biased coinflip. I try to catch them with any middle pair (In hopes that they are caught with 3 outs instead of 6, or worse), or a decent ace (two overs). Although it is not unlikely that a hand like K9 will be well ahead of these villains, you will often show up against hands such as QT where you have 1 over and 1 under, or J5 where you have 1 over and 1 mid. I try to avoid calling with low pocket pairs because almost any non-paired hand will have a coinflip against it, and there isn't really any reason to flip against a villain with such a huge flaw.

As far as hand strength against these players, I would rank:

High PP
Mid PP
Strong Ace
KQ
Weak Ace
Strong King
Mid King
Decent Queen
Low PP
Suited Connectors

I'm sure the hand ranking is up for some debate. I put KQ above a weak ace because KQ is very likely to be dominating the villains hand and very unlikely to be dominated. Although I wouldn't be paranoid about it against this type of villain, there is a solid chance that a weak ace will end up dominated.

For villains who are just shoving all in preflop 100% I am sure someone could pokerstove a better range.

On another note, I've seen a lot of players continue to bet their button when the villain is shoving/folding every hand. Unless you have a strong hand and believe this will induce a shove, or you really feel it is too strong postflop to lay down and your bet might "block" his shove, betting into these villains probably isn't a good idea.