Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Post a common leak and how to fix or take advantage of it (CASH/TR

My #1 leak is impatience. The action-junkie devil inside will sit still and play nice for a while, but, especially if i go card-dead in the 25/50 level, he'll come out and convince me that the other guy has been betting far too much and is clearly bluffing this time, just go AI with ATC.

I think the cure is discipline. And by that I mean mental discipline. I know when I get 'the urge' - I can sense it coming, but I'm not always able to stop it.

Two things that have really helped me begin to cure myself of my action addiction:
1: narrating out loud what I'm doing and why, which forces me to think through decisions instead of gut-punching with a CRAI.
2: trying to review each match immediately after I play it. if i force myself to go through and analyze decisions and what-ifs and play with pokerstove and math, the action-junkie gets scared and goes back into his corner.

FWIW
Old 10-03-2007, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My leak is boredom. I don't know how to fix this. I have a game running right now and I am not paying attention because I am writing this.

My main leak is that if you raise on the turn you will in fact river me after I shove into you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Solution: Higher stakes or more tables.

Leak: Villain reraises almost every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

chew gum. Chewing gum will increase your concentration. The reason for this is that the muscles you use for chewing are very close to the part in your brain that helps you concentrate. I chew gum when I drive my car, when I study and when I play poker
Old 10-03-2007, 06:53 AM

The most common leak of the average player is not assessing opponents enough and knowing how to change their play to adjust accordingly. If you know how someone approximately plays then the right moves in certain situations becomes obvious. You will know what you can and cannot do against them.

You cannot just play people like they are intelligent and rational if they are not. A winning play against a good player might be a losing play against a weak player and all you succeed in doing is getting yourself into trouble when you didn't need to - losing you money.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My leak is boredom. I don't know how to fix this. I have a game running right now and I am not paying attention because I am writing this.

My main leak is that if you raise on the turn you will in fact river me after I shove into you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

chew gum. Chewing gum will increase your concentration. The reason for this is that the muscles you use for chewing are very close to the part in your brain that helps you concentrate. I chew gum when I drive my car, when I study and when I play poker

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard that, I kind of want to try it out though. Doesn't it make you hungry as [censored]? I remember something about the chewing motion causing stomach acids to be released.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard this about chewing gum, but I love gum and I'll do almost anything to increase my ROI. Any flavor more +EV than others? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2007, 11:51 AM

What I am wondering is at what stakes the benefit of the gum outweighs the cost.

At lower stakes packs of gum are very expensive in terms of BBs.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What I am wondering is at what stakes the benefit of the gum outweighs the cost.

At lower stakes packs of gum are very expensive in terms of BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rofl ^^

[ QUOTE ]

The most common leak of the average player is not assessing opponents enough and knowing how to change their play to adjust accordingly. If you know how someone approximately plays then the right moves in certain situations becomes obvious. You will know what you can and cannot do against them.

You cannot just play people like they are intelligent and rational if they are not. A winning play against a good player might be a losing play against a weak player and all you succeed in doing is getting yourself into trouble when you didn't need to - losing you money

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is probably one of my biggest leaks. I sometimes feel I have difficulty categorizing my opponents and adjust accordingly.
Many times when playing villains who are doing obvious mistakes it still feels like "whoever gets the nuts when the opponent has close to 2nd nuts win the game". That has been annoying me every once in a while, I know they are making obvious mistakes but I'm not sure how exactly to take advantage of it.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any flavor more +EV than others? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this was said in jest, but if you use a strongly flavoured gum whose taste you only have in your mouth when playing/studying poker it "should" help you get into "poker-mode".

Not that I bother with that stuff.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM

chewing gum = placebo effect

Indy
Old 10-03-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chewing gum = placebo effect

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not. I've decided to write some more about this, but now I'll add sourced. The effects of chewing gum on the brains have been known for several years now. chewing gum will activate your brain, improve your memory and concentration.

See here for an article written in 2002. It's from www.newscientist.

For more recent information check the health claims on the wikipedia on chewing gum com