Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: FAQ on WATCHES (x-post from \"I bought myself something\")

golden ip pls rate my watch (i know it rules, i'm really just testing you).

Old 10-11-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Alain Silberstein

thanks for the input. I'll be back after I check out some of those watches you mentioned. On a side note, what are the most well known/reputable online watch stores?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the input. I'll be back after I check out some of those watches you mentioned. On a side note, what are the most well known/reputable online watch stores?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure I would buy a watch online unless they were an authorized dealer of the brand I was considering. I just use them as shopping guides to help me figure out the models and approximate prices I am going to deal with.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 PM

goldenip, we seem to have the same tastes in watches....

what would you pick under the following circumstances
1) white dial
2) automatic movement
3) chrono
4) >40mm
5) <6k

I was thinking breitling, maybe zenith but wanted to see what you would come up with
Old 10-11-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blancpain is hit or miss on looks for me, and you can't have a watch thread w/o Patek.

Here's a nice perpetual in white gold:

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a beautiful watch...

what is the price range on Teks?

[/ QUOTE ]

10k+

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the white gold of that perpetual is over 100k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, if you can find them they generally run just over 100k. That pic is one I nabbed from an ebay reseller who does a lot of Pateks.

The sky is the limit for Pateks, price wise. I love them, but I'll never spend 6 figures for a watch. That same reseller currently has a Patek with a Tourbillon movement listed for $750k, if you want to get stupid expensive.

I'm just a sucker for automatic watches w/ chronographs and sophisticated calendars (and still manage to fit them in reasonable case sizes). For those who aren't paying attention, the perpetual calendar watches show month, day of week, day of month, moon phase, and account for leap year, all in mechanical movement. Guess I should stick with the casio and give up my timepiece-lusting ways.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:47 AM

Hello and thanks for taking our quesitons,

1) is it ok to wear black leather bands with brown belt and shoes? shouldn't ppl be buying metal bands so they can always match? (not a level... serious question)

2) i've heard ppl put down the quality of Mont blanc pens, how is the quality of their watches?

thanks
Old 10-12-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GoldenIP,
Recently I purchased a Breitling Chronomat Evolution (retail 13.3k) but have since soured on it. What are my options as far as resale/tradein? I was to get a Chrono-Swiss, what do you think of these?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting question. I've never sold a watch I've bought but I reckon your best bet might be via eBay and place a reserve price on it.

[ QUOTE ]
Golden IP, how do you feel about watches with brown leather bands? I often wear brown leather shoes/belt at work and therefore feel that I should match accordingly with the watch. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

mikalina - if you wear brown shoes and belts frequently, go for it. I would also add that if you tend to wear earthy colour clothes, brown watches go too. The only reason I tend to go for black straps is because black is really versatile. A watch with a black strap will go with almost anything just like a black jacket etc.

lapoker17 - I really like this watch and would buy it without hesitation. I think you all are getting a real handle on my style [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
goldenip, we seem to have the same tastes in watches....

what would you pick under the following circumstances
1) white dial
2) automatic movement
3) chrono
4) >40mm
5) <6k

I was thinking breitling, maybe zenith but wanted to see what you would come up with

[/ QUOTE ]

burkoboy - Definitely Breitling. Rumour has it the people who make zenith also make Breitling but I could be mistaken. Having said that, I love my Breitling and it's the watch I wear daily.

[ QUOTE ]
Hello and thanks for taking our quesitons,

1) is it ok to wear black leather bands with brown belt and shoes? shouldn't ppl be buying metal bands so they can always match? (not a level... serious question)

2) i've heard ppl put down the quality of Mont blanc pens, how is the quality of their watches?

[/ QUOTE ]

F0rtysxity - 1) don't worry. Feel free to ask anything. I'm impressed you're actually thinking about this stuff. In all honestly, it's fine to wear a black strap with brown shoes etc. It you really want to take your level of colour coordination to the highest level, yeah, sure, get different watches for different colours. But, we can't all afford an array of watches. Here's what I think is important...a watch with a black strap will go fine with brown stuff just because, well, the black strap is small. What I think would stand out more clearly is if you were wearing a black shirt, and then a brown strapped watch. That would not go quite as well as the other way around. Rather, you couldn't get away with it as much as a black leather strap with a brown shirt.

Big thanks to Smellmuth and co for answering other questions in my absence. Again, keep firing questions. If I've overlooked some, just bump it.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:29 PM

F0rtysxity - 2) Mont Blanc, like Cartier, are not in the business for making watches. They make pens (and yes, I would say slightly better than average pens). I have a Conway Stewart Model 100 Icon which is a sick pen if I don't say so myself. If you want a real good pen, Conway Stewart is your bet but that's for a different thread [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm sure Mont Blanc make a good watch, I'm just a snob when it comes to buying things like watches. I'll only buy a watch from a company that is solely in the business for making watches and has been for a while.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:32 PM

thoughts:

Old 10-12-2007, 01:54 PM

chisness - it looks nice. I've never understood the celestial dial indicating whether it's night or day etc. They seem to be common on the more affordable range of watches out there. Nevertheless, looks like a good watch and ORIS is certainly affordable.