Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Caffeine In Sports

[ QUOTE ]
This is interesting if true, considering Xyience energy drink is a major sponsor of UFC and MMA in general, Most fighters are required to take a drink after their fight this may have little to do with what they drink during and before their fights but still, the perception is that it's supposed to help fighters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Xyience can be used as a training supplement of sorts, but it can't be consumed during the fight. Kinda like the Budweiser logo is was plastered all over boxing rings but the boxer's cant drink a Bud between rounds.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:26 PM

People who eat before competition have an unfair advantage. All pro athletes should be forced to fast for 36 hours before matches.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1st thing that popped up on google

[/ QUOTE ]

it's got all the info you need
Old 10-04-2007, 06:02 PM

I run about 25 miles a week, and have done marathons in the past, I can smoke a cig before a run and be fine. I drink coffee before a run and I feel like my heart is going to explode.

Edit: Apparently I'm not normal [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 PM

200mg of caffeine before every workout guarantees that I kill the weights when I'm in the gym regardless of how tired I am or how crappy I feel. There have been a ton of studies supporting claims that caffeine improves strength and endurance but I can see how it would be detrimental for an activity requiring a lot of precise movement.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:32 PM

I can tell you what it would do to me. If I have no tolerance built up, caffine will increase my energy and sense of well being that will translate into better performance. The duration of this effect is related to the amount of caffine and my tolerance level.

Currently I drink supersize energy drinks every day, diet cokes, starbucks, etc. Caffine right before say running 100 meters will not help me all that much. If I did not have caffine all day and tried to run, it would in fact hurt my performance.

If I snorted coke or did speed, it I think it would usually help me perform certain explosive tasks since I haven't done any of this stuff over a decade. (assuming I didn't have a heart attack).
Old 10-04-2007, 06:40 PM

Some pro football players take caffeine in before the game. Some drink redbull while other drink coffee. I watched one time as a linebacker slammed a cup of hot black coffee right before he hit the field.

You would be amazed though at the amount of smelling salts used during the game by the players (and some coaches, i'm looking at you Jim Mora).
Old 10-04-2007, 06:57 PM

occasionally i would have an energy drink before a soccer game back when i played. i would dominate the first half, be unable to sit down during half-time, and become totally worthless 25 minutes into the second half.

i figure it was worth it.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:58 PM

improves performance if you don't use it often

those that use it alot get nothing out of it
Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't have any caffeinated drinks in boxing or MMA type events. The fluids that are issued in your corner need to be accepted by the state athletic commissions. If you were to drink a redbull before a boxing match, the effects will last you maybe a round or two, and you better hope you knock that guy out because when you crash, you're not going to worth anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting if true, considering Xyience energy drink is a major sponsor of UFC and MMA in general, Most fighters are required to take a drink after their fight this may have little to do with what they drink during and before their fights but still, the perception is that it's supposed to help fighters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forget if this is a UFC rule or an advertising law or if guys just don't actually like the stuff, but most/all fighters are drinking from an empty can or without popping the top.