Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: What is the greatest sporting event you have attended?

1996 World Series, Game 6.

Everyone wants to think that winning is passe for the Yankees -- in 1996 it certainly was not. It had been 18 years since the last championship. I was sitting in the very last section of the tier reserve in right field at Yankee Stadium and the whole place was shaking. The energy in the place was unbelievable.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been to 3 Rose Bowls including the National Championship games between Nebraska and Miami

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the 2001 season. Miami beat Nebraska 37-14 in the Rose Bowl which was the BCS National Championship Game. The game itself sucked (although I did have the under which I think I lucked out on) but the pre-game was amazing. It was the first bowl season after 9/11 and there was a great patriotic show culminated by a flyover by F/A-18 “Hornets” and a B-2 “Spirit” (the Stealth Bomber.) Awesome.

2 other events I forgot to mention: 1977 Preakness (Seattle Slew) and a college basketball game between SDSU and BYU. It was 1981 and I was sitting in the student section at the SD Sports Arena. The Aztecs were leading almost the entire game against a very good BYU team led by Danny Ainge and Fred Roberts. In the last minute Ainge single handedly brought the Cougars back. Things looked bleak until the SDSU point guard backed towards the free throw line and hit a fade away at the buzzer to win it. I was one of the 1st ones on the court in a massive celebration (beating BYU is the highlight of any season). It was pure joyous bedlam. Oh yeah, the point guard was Tony Gwynn.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been to 3 Rose Bowls including the National Championship games between Nebraska and Miami

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the 2001 season. Miami beat Nebraska 37-14 in the Rose Bowl which was the BCS National Championship Game. The game itself sucked (although I did have the under which I think I lucked out on) but the pre-game was amazing. It was the first bowl season after 9/11 and there was a great patriotic show culminated by a flyover by F/A-18 “Hornets” and a B-2 “Spirit” (the Stealth Bomber.) Awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, I didn't remember that game at all. Those teams and National Championship game instantly conjured up Osborne going for 2 in the Orange Bowl, hence my confusion. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Game 7 1994 NHL Eastern Conference finals Rangers vs. Devils. Matteau.

Game 7 1994 NHL Stanley Cup Finals Rangers vs. Canucks. Curse over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I officially hate you.

That was the first year we won playoff lottery tickets and only got tickets to the first two rounds. Every other year we won tickets to all four rounds which of course weren't needed. This was my signal they were going all the way.

Most thrilling month of sports I will probably ever have in my lifetime.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
aaron boone game

[/ QUOTE ]

I sat outside my dorm room against the wall almost in tears. A kid couple doors down got out of the elevator, looked at me, said "Red Sox fan?" and sympathetically walked back to his room after I blankly nodded.

FU BOONE.

[/ QUOTE ]

if it makes you feel better I was also at game 6 and 7 the next year. Game 7 was a disgrace- there was about 15000-20000 redsox fans in the stadium and less than 50 yankee fans (Im not exaggerating)
I hate front runner who cant take an ass kicking

[/ QUOTE ]

I was also at game 6 and 7. My father and I went to game 6 and Yanks lost, so he said f it, we are getting tickets to game 7. The rest is history. I sat there just so I could experience the worst feeling I will ever feel while watching a sporting event.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Game 7 1994 NHL Eastern Conference finals Rangers vs. Devils. Matteau.

Game 7 1994 NHL Stanley Cup Finals Rangers vs. Canucks. Curse over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Memories to last a lifetime.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:35 PM

That is weird. My business partner is Mike Gallo.
I'm also a huge Ranger (and Met and Jet) fan. Being in San Diego for 28 years it sometimes is tough keeping up with the Broadway Blueshirts. I watched game 7 in a friends bar which was closed down by the ABC for an infraction. I just stood by myself watching the game, nervously pacing. I would have given my left nut to be at that game.
I see a bunch of Jersey people here. I grew up in Old Bridge and went to HS at Red Bank Catholic. The Jersey Shore rules!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:51 PM

Game 7 of the 1987 World Series when the Twins beat the Cardinals. After Gaetti threw to Hrbek for the last out I don't know if I've ever heard the Metrodome louder. You couldn't even hear someone screaming less than a foot from you.

The party spilled out in the street and I remember hanging out my parent's car window in dead stop bumper-bumper traffic (I was 6 at the time) waving my Homer Hanky and screaming to other Twins fans.

The second simply because of the crowd was the Timberwolves conference semifinal game against Sacramento in 2004. The crowd at Target Center was loud enough as it was however the Wolves had these blow-up "Thundersticks" like lots of teams have and wow was it loud.

So loud in fact that we didn't know who was being introduced and had to watch it on the jumbo tron above the court. You couldn't hear anything the announcer was saying.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 PM

The best events that I have attended were both UTexas games at home.

1) November 6, 2004 UT vs Oklahoma St.

UT was down 35-7 late in the second half, scored just before halftime to make it 35-14 and came back in the 2nd half to win 56-35.

I have never been at a sporting event where the noise level was sustained at max like it was at that game for the entire second half.

Cedric Benson had 5 TDs that night. Vince Young ran one in from 42 yds out.

2) November 15, 2003 UT vs Texas Tech

UT won 43-40 after Chance Mock came off the bench to replace Vince Young with 2 minutes to go to score the go-ahead touchdown in a game that featured over 1000 yds of offense.

Definitely the most intense game I've ever personally attended.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:12 AM

1989 WS game 3

49ers v. Giants - 2003 Wild card