Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Dealer Comments On Your Play -- What Do You Do?

1/2 NL - I'm in late position in seat 1 (next to dealer). Two limpers to me and I raise to $20. All fold and as the dealer is pushing the pot to me he says "Bet 20 to win 7. Nice play." It was clearly in a condescending tone, probably just loud enough for me to hear.

Personally, I think this was WAY over the line. To me, the dealer's job is to run the game smoothly, not to editorialize. Leave that to Gabe Kaplan.

I haven't said anything to him, but I haven't tipped him since then (maybe half a dozen pots). Obviously it's eating at me since this happened 2-3 weeks ago. What, if anything, should I have done/said at the time? Thoughts and comments welcomed.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Dealer Comments On Your Play -- What Do You Do?

What was the 'standard' raise at that table. Sounds like you overbet the pot -- but I agree, it's not for the dealer to comment.

At the table, I'd do nothing. If you want to punish this dealer by not tipping him, that's your choice. Certainly wouldn't punish any other dealer, though.

If it's annoying you, but not affecting your game, I suppose you can go to the floor afterwards and discuss this.

If it's really annoying you and changing your game, either ask for a table change, or it's time for a dinner break.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:51 AM

I would have said back, just loud enough for him to hear, "Run your fat mouth so you never get a tip from me again. Nice play."

I hate dealers that are **** like this. If they are joking, I don't mind - I'll joke around with dealers more than anyone at the table ... but if they're going to be ****, then [censored] em.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have said back, just loud enough for him to hear, "Run your fat mouth so you never get a tip from me again. Nice play."

I hate dealers that are dicks like this. If they are joking, I don't mind - I'll joke around with dealers more than anyone at the table ... but if they're going to be dicks, then [censored] em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if the dealer is wrong, I've never found it +ev to be an [censored] at the table. I guess I'm just not a Type A personality.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 AM

I’d ignore what the dealer said. It’s hard to be very successful at poker (or probably much else) if you let little things like this get under your skin. Alternately, you could simply look at him and say, “That was inappropriate” and leave it at that. Any reaction beyond that is probably disproportionate to the situation.

As described, if I were another player at the table and happened to overhear this, I would politely ask the dealer to please refrain from tapping on the glass. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I hate dealers that are **** like this. If they are joking, I don't mind - I'll joke around with dealers more than anyone at the table ... but if they're going to be **** , then [censored] em.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. 2 limpers and I take down the pot preflop I'm not tipping anyway.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:18 AM

I am in no way a jerk at the table, but I would definitely show the dealer that I'm not one of those quiet guys that will just sit there and take their crap.

And I will say something if the dealer is spewing B.S. that is incorrect (rulings, etc).
Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 AM

just tell the floor, don't stiff the dealer on future pots
Old 08-02-2007, 11:33 AM

"Dealer. I don't think it's appropriate for you to comment on how anyone plays their own cards. Please don't do that again"

If he doesn't apologize, call the floor and ask the floor to explain that it's not appropriate.

I had a different situation where the dealer was gossiping about me at the table, and I asked him to stop, and he didn't. Calling the floor worked wonders. FWIW, I will seriously never tip this certain dealer again for the rest of my life, but mainly for other reasons.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:40 AM

Nice Way: "Do you like tips?"

Mean Way: "Do you like tokes? If you ever want to take another toke off my bong again, you best keep the play by play analysis to yourself!"