Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Moving from Internet to B&M and am \"nervous\". How to fix

[ QUOTE ]
Turn it around and use it to your advantage. Lots of seasoned players notice everything around them (we're bored spitless and have nothing else to do, after all), so use that nervousness to completely confuse us. Don't try to hide the shaking when you DON'T have a big hand, and get us to fold. Since you've played online 18 months and have that experience, think of every reverse tell that you can use to your advantage while playing live, and use it, don't squander it. It only happens once, might as well make some extra money before it goes away.

[/ QUOTE ]
Felicia, you are so right about this. I play very little live and I'm always doing something silly to expose my lack of experience in a B&M environment (and it's not deliberate because it's quite embarrassing at times). I'm hopeless at handling chips, my hands shake, I ask stupid questions - sometimes I just want to crawl under the table and hide. However, it seems to work in my favor because people assume it means I don't know what I'm doing poker-wise, either.

Just make sure to be polite and if you screw up, for heaven's sake apologize and offer to buy a drink or something. Keep the table loose and happy. People will tolerate quite a lot from a "nice fish".

So OP, as you have been told revel in it and take advantage while it lasts.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:07 PM

Might as well throw this in here as well - what's the relationship between B&M NL and Online NL? I've played plenty of limit live, but I've never sat in a live NL game. A live 5-10 NL game plays like what level online?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Might as well throw this in here as well - what's the relationship between B&M NL and Online NL? I've played plenty of limit live, but I've never sat in a live NL game. A live 5-10 NL game plays like what level online?

[/ QUOTE ]

.05/.10
Old 04-01-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A live 5-10 NL game plays like what level online?

[/ QUOTE ]

.05/.10

[/ QUOTE ]

zing! But srsly folks, how is it?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:36 PM

try not to be self conscious. everyone is nervous the first time they play live. one thing to understand, is that you will often be percieved as weak tight by regulars. so keep your aggression level high and you will pick up a lot more pots than you should.

also, people will sometimes come after you.

I still get this sometimes because of how young I look. There is nothing better than snapping off some retarded bluff from some middle aged lawyer who thinks he can push the kid around.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A live 5-10 NL game plays like what level online?

[/ QUOTE ]

.05/.10

[/ QUOTE ]

zing! But srsly folks, how is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played as high as 5/10 online, but I would say that 1/2NL live is about equal to the .05/.10NL online. (seriously).
Old 04-02-2007, 01:04 AM

drinking isnt a bad idea assumin it doesnt eff up ur game baddly

i also suggest Beta-Blockers. not hard to get a perscription for them. they cut out all nervous type physical signs (like sweating, shaking, etc).
Old 04-02-2007, 02:33 AM

In my experience live plays much softer than online, with very few exceptions.
If you're happy with $2/$4 on Stars then you'd need to search quite hard to find a live game that puts you out of your comfort zone.

However it should be pointed out that when you play live you come across some guys in their 60s and 70s that have been playing cards (although not necessarily holdem, or even poker) since before your dad was born. They have no notion of sklansky's concepts, and have played a fraction of the hands you played, but they have a very keen sense for what's going on around the table and are capable of terrific reads, which to some extent compensates the lack of pure skill.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
are capable of terrific reads, which to some extent compensates the lack of pure skill.

[/ QUOTE ]
Guess you have a different definition of skill than I do. Being able to read players and situations is a huge skill, and the sort of thing you really seriously just cannot learn from a book. I don't need none of your "pure skill" to win if I can read you and know everytime you bet what you have.

Silly internet kiddiez, anyway... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2007, 04:43 AM

When i played at the Bellagio, the old fogies, on average, played better than the younger guys. Some of the younger guys didnt take it kindly to an old rock playing back at them. I saw one kid answer a $300 raise with only a pair of 8's (he had A8) and the old guy had a set..

But they are exploitable though..