Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: An Unprecedented Time: Teenagers and Poker

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Haven't read through much of this thread yet, but looks like some good stuff. I agree w/ Taylor, though. There's definitely still a ton of money in poker, but there are plenty of other similar opportunities - this just happens to be the one people around here are most familiar with. A lot of the other opportunities also scale far greater than poker - where you are obviously constrained by the number of hands you can play. Here's an interesting article about a couple of guys who developed a facebook sticky notes app: Business Week article

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazing story. I love hearing about stuff like this. It's so unbelievable to me that just about every young kid that starts a successful company has the same story.

Sorry for the hijack, but:

Company is started because they have a cool idea and a little spare money plus a lot of free time + passion. Not too long afterwords, the company starts to find some success or they see an opportunity and run with it. I feel like none of these kids actually expected anything to come from it, but they did it anyway.

Moral of the story is let your interests guide what you do, not money. Also, just get out and do something, you can't accomplish anything by not trying. You never know what opportunities you will see after you just try something you are passionate about.

/hijack - but i think it will be very hard for kids that have had tons of poker success to be passionate about other things post poker. What's the kid going to do that has 2 million in the bank but then can't beat the game he used to beat 5 years ago going to do? It's going to be tough for him to go back to school or work a 50k a year job, but this might be necessary in some cases. This is what I worry about the most for myself and other poker players.

tc