Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Buying Scalped NBA Tickets - How much of a deal can I expect?

(Sorry if this has been addressed before. Sounds like a topic that would be but I didn't see anything when I searched. And mods feel free to move this if it belong in OOT or wherever.)

This is a general question I've had for awhile but it applies specifically today also since I want to go to the Wizards vs. Lakers game tonight. I don't mind missing up to the first half of the game if I can get in late at the right price.

My question is, say for a $100 NBA ticket for a good game, how much can I expect to get it on the street at a discount right after tipoff? After the 1st quarter? After the 2nd quarter?

I assume there's going to be a point where these guys are going to want to leave and would be willing to sell their ticket for a little something rather than nothing. At what point is this generally?

If this is too difficult to say b/c of too many variables, if you could just share your experience in similar situations that would be awesome.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Buying Scalped NBA Tickets - How much of a deal can I expect?

The key is to buy a ticket from a regular fan who has extras and NOT a scalper. Scalpers know the market and will charge you excessively for buying from them. They arent standing out in the cold on a saturday night for free.

If you have $400-$500, some time to spare and can dress nice. You can show up an hour early at the Wiz games and turn tickets twice and be going to the game for free.

The KEY is in making the fair market. The scalpers create their inflated market and because no one competes with them, they get paid their asking price.

If you're going alone, I might come by as Im going out in the city and wanted to hit this game up.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:10 PM

You should have checked craigslist every day from the week before the game to game day. Usually there are season ticket holders trying to get rid of their tickets at season ticket price OR below. I got two tickets for the price of one season ticket ($25, would have been $80ish for the tickets w/fees). A lot of season ticket holders just want to get rid of the tickets and don't bother looking for a profit.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:28 PM

bluef0x,

Actually I've been checking the past few days but haven't seen a great deal pop out. I've been doing the craigslist thing for previous games this season, but since I really don't mind missing some portion of the beginning of the game, figured it might be possible to get a pretty good deal on the street after tipoff.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:33 PM

Snupoker,

I understand your point regarding scalpers before the game, but there's always so many of them I have to assume that they usually all don't get to sell of all their tickets. So there must be some point where they're going to give up to go do whatever else they want to do. At this point, it would seem that one could come in and give them a pretty low price that they will take because their ticket will just become a piece of paper in the near future if they don't.

Or am I wrong?
Old 02-03-2007, 02:41 PM

I don't have direct knowledge, but I am under the impression that the scalpers have an ability to return the tickets to the arena for some % of money back. Not sure how this works.

I had a $400 or so ticket to a Mavs game last year and showed up at halftime and scalpers were still willing to buy it from me for $100 (no way they would be able to re-sell and these guys NEVER go to the games).
Old 02-03-2007, 02:46 PM

Snupoker,

Hmm, this sounds like very bad news for my awesome plan.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:36 PM

Maddog: I would be very surprised if there are extra tickets after tipoff for a Wiz/Lakers game. The wizards have been selling the place out recently, and the Lakers are always a big draw.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:15 PM

the Post has this game as "the most anticipated game since Jordan's first game with the Wiz".

Really?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have direct knowledge, but I am under the impression that the scalpers have an ability to return the tickets to the arena for some % of money back. Not sure how this works.

I had a $400 or so ticket to a Mavs game last year and showed up at halftime and scalpers were still willing to buy it from me for $100 (no way they would be able to re-sell and these guys NEVER go to the games).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hilarious.