Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 09:27 AM

Default 1/2 6 max, wondering if bluffing is ok.

Villain is a good 50/15, a little passive preflop but usually agressive on flop with made hands and big draws. I have a LAG image, raising a lot of hands.

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $319.15
CO: $173.45
Button: $196
SB: $293.25
BB: $315.65

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $7</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($21, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $21</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($63, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $63</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $126</font>, Hero calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($315, 2 players)
SB checks

How often and under which condition do you bet the river here ? The pot is 315, villain has 140.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: 1/2 6 max, wondering if bluffing is ok.

I would bluff the river only against players that are both weak and bad (not very common at PLO200). Opoponents line looks a lot like decent made hand (e.g. low set or two pair with aces) or big drawing hand that got better on turn. Drawing hands are propably folding river but your line didn't look like aces so good players might call you down with a pair of aces only.

However semi-bluffing turn would seem a lot better. I would re-raise turn almost always with a set. You could get a fold from weakish holdings that are ahead and you have a very good draw now.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:14 AM

I think he will call with a made set to often to make this +EV, it's good thinking but I don't think he has a drawing hand often enough. I think he has decided to check/call the river.

I would really like to hear more oppinions on this decision from more experienced players!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:40 PM

I check the turn and like never ever bet the river here.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:25 PM

Give it up here. The King is a blank, no draws completed, so SB likely has a made hand on the turn after he raised.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:23 PM

My best guess is he has A97x and the K is a minor scare card. With only 140 behind I think he's calling anything with that hand or better. It's highly unlikely that he's on any kind of pure draw. I can't think of any reasonable drawing hand that could explain that mini-raise on the turn when a relative blank hits. If he doesn't have a calling hand then he's got a major case of Fancy Play Syndrome.

You need him to fold 30% of the time for this to work and I don't think it's nearly close enough to have sufficient meta game value.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:09 AM

Thanks for your comments. It was really a bad spot to bluff. By the way, he had 4c 3c Td Ac and called me with his pair of aces. I did not realize I looked that much like a maniac to him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 01-18-2007, 08:13 AM

well I would expect you to get through that hand most of the time, but I thought he had aces and and would call.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your comments. It was really a bad spot to bluff. By the way, he had 4c 3c Td Ac and called me with his pair of aces. I did not realize I looked that much like a maniac to him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, seems like I overestimated his range (or underestimated your LAG image), but either way it seems the mini-raise indicated that he thought he had a good enough hand to call you down.

I'd be most interested in an analysis of how the villain played this hand. Primarily I'm wondering if this is an example of a good player making a good read, or a Hold 'em donk thinking he has a good hand here (I realize this can be tough to distinguish).

The funny thing is that he was an underdog on the turn against any hand with at least a 9 in it (or even a 2 in it) and I shouldn't have to tell you how bad he was against any Axxx.

I have never played a hand this (way (SB's line that is). It just strikes me as foolish beyond reason. I mean, this would be debatable in Hold 'em, no?

One of my rules of thumb for PLO is that if you could have a debate with reasonable players about the line you took in Hold Em, it's clearly wrong in Omaha.