Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: The Wire -- What Am I Missing?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you suggesting The Wire is overrated, what do you think is better?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Shield.

[/ QUOTE ]

As alluded to elsewhere in this thread, lol bro.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:32 PM

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

I liked season one of 24 a bit, but I have long since lost patience with it. I think Nick's satire was spot on--the computer stuff is boring, the overall plot and pacing are absurd at times and the same situations are repeated over and over.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want them to cut down on the boring filler, and really show me what it's about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Zyse - if you stick with the series, you'll find that alot of what might seem like "filler" to you has some point - whether to extend the theme, act as a plot-driving device, character expansion, whatever. I honestly can't think of a wasted scene having now watched all 4 seasons. If anything, The Wire writers are really efficient, and it seems don't try to waste a single word of dialogue.

[ QUOTE ]
The Wire watches like I'm actually in the police department for a day, sitting down and watching them do their job.

For a television show, that is boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that's fairly extreme - and yeah if true it would be super boring. The writers and producers are still mindful this is a TV series meant to engage the viewer, and as Shaniac kind of alluded to, even though some of the moments are more "quotidian" in nature, it's not boring once you get into the characters, and see the quotidian moment in its rightful place in the series arc, in the lives of the character etc.

-Al
Old 01-08-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please allow me to briefly hijack OP by saying '24' is the biggest [censored] joke of a television show EVER...I'm almost tempted to say anyone who thinks it's a great show is a [censored] retard, but some smart people I know like it. I watch it in the background while I grind, but it's like a mindless drug with no high.

The Wire is inarguably the best TV drama ever made, and it dwarfs the acheivements of all others by leaps and bounds. From conception to execution, it encompasses more detail and truth than anything ever put out on tv and most cinema, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT QFT Just cant say it any better then that.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you suggesting The Wire is overrated, what do you think is better?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Shield.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to beat you down right now, even though I like the Shield.

DN
Old 01-08-2007, 10:18 PM

Damn, there's a lot of idiots here.

I was warned that the show started slow -- thank god. It's *now* one of my favorites, BUT, I was like you in that 2-3 episodes in I was all "Gee, it'd be nice if something, I don't know, HAPPENED."

If you're not hooked by the 7th or so episode, then, well, it's not for you, c'est la vie. But give it until then. Too bad nobody warned you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 01-08-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Wire watches like I'm actually in the police department for a day, sitting down and watching them do their job.

For a television show, that is boring. I want them to cut down on the boring filler, and really show me what it's about.

The drug scenes, with Avon Barksdale's cousin or whatever dude is, are great. But otherwise -- Episode Four, at least -- it's just everyone walking around, talking, and saying [censored] all the time.

I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't this. I also thought the dialogue would be a lot better. It's a big case of hit or miss.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait. You say the show depicts what a day in the life of a cop is like, yet you want the boring filler cut out so they can "really show me what its all about". They ARE showing you what its all about.
You also thought the dialogue would be better? As opposed to what? The dialogue in 24?
Perhaps an increase in ADD medication will help.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:05 PM

As someone that thinks "The Wire " is the best television show of all times, I recommend watching the shows with the commentary on--the producers and directors give some amazing insight into the show.

Ness
Old 01-09-2007, 12:23 AM

People who dislike The Wire are one or more of the following.

1. people who are a sandwich short of a picnic/short atention span
2. people who don't like blacks
3. the mayor of Baltimore
Old 01-09-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

For a television show, that is boring. I want them to cut down on the boring filler, and really show me what it's about.

The drug scenes, with Avon Barksdale's cousin or whatever dude is, are great. But otherwise -- Episode Four, at least -- it's just everyone walking around, talking, and saying [censored] all the time.

I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't this. I also thought the dialogue would be a lot better. It's a big case of hit or miss.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait. You say the show depicts what a day in the life of a cop is like, yet you want the boring filler cut out so they can "really show me what its all about". They ARE showing you what its all about.
You also thought the dialogue would be better? As opposed to what? The dialogue in 24?
Perhaps an increase in ADD medication will help.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should re-read your post and see if you can spot the various degrees of stupidity encryped in it.