Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Re: tiny petit pyttelitet pair in the big big blind

The implied odds of a set should be higher vs. raised from outside the blinds as those hands generally are better and therefore will tend to pay you off more should you hit your set. That being said i still fold.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:29 PM

So if you call and the original raiser just calls you're getting 3.5-1 and need to make 4BB postflop every time you hit a set, and never lose, just to break even. If he caps it you're getting 3-1 and need to make 6.75BB and never lose.

I just can't see it.

How does it play out if you cap it? I have no idea.

Guy.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:24 AM

If it doesnt get capped I call two small two win 7.5, so
3.75:1 and the odds of flopping a set are 7.43:1 so you need to win another extra 7.5 small bet or 3.75 bb to earn money.
When you do spike a set I would say this is almost a minimum of what you get into the pot... 4 (win) small on the flop, 1 big on the turn and river. which makes it 8...

comments?
Old 11-04-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3.75:1 and the odds of flopping a set are 7.43:1 so you need to win another extra 7.5 small bet or 3.75 bb to earn money.
When you do spike a set I would say this is almost a minimum of what you get into the pot... 4 (win) small on the flop, 1 big on the turn and river. which makes it 8...

comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

The preflop pot isn't quite as big as you think because of the rake.

Sometimes you'll get capped PF which makes your implied odds situation much much worse.

Sometimes you'll lose the pot after flopping a set which will cost so many bets that you need a decent overlay on the set odds.

Guy.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The implied odds of a set should be higher vs. raised from outside the blinds as those hands generally are better and therefore will tend to pay you off more should you hit your set. That being said i still fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure I agree. Hand legitimity isn't key to implied odds. I would say it is sometimes more probable to get lots of action when it is more purely a blindsfight.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

The preflop pot isn't quite as big as you think because of the rake.

Sometimes you'll get capped PF which makes your implied odds situation much much worse.

Sometimes you'll lose the pot after flopping a set which will cost so many bets that you need a decent overlay on the set odds.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but I think a counterbalance to this is the fact that a lot of the time you w ill be up against AK, and AJ, or AJ, AT and equity will be good.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:03 PM

I hate these posts. I just can't believe that the majority of poeple have the time to think like this while playing, especially while multi-tabling, and I can't even be bothered to think that this is even worthwhile thinking about, because the hand is so simple to play, regardless of whether you fold or not.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:07 PM

Whats the problem? I think this is a perfect situation of something that is in an early street and shhould be thought of when NOT playing. This is not so situation dependant. I think this is also close. It might be so close that 22 is a fold an 66 is a cap. Cap might be better than fold, with calling being the worst.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:30 PM

for me it comes down to a simple solution: do I want to play a poor hand out of position against competent players to try to squeeze out an extra BB here or there? not really, because I am 4tabling, and the likelyhood that I have the time to play this type of hand correctly while focusing on 3 other tables as well, is slim to none, and in the long run this will cost me a smackload of bets. the fold is easy and I don't think about it.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Sure, but I think a counterbalance to this is the fact that a lot of the time you will be up against AK, and AJ, or AJ, AT and equity will be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you plan on winning the pot in those situations? Because if you want to start putting money in postflop without a set then you need even more of an overlay than we were discussing above, and if you don't then you're not winning even when your equity is good, so it might as well be zero.

Guy.