Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Any good books for low-limit short hand?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
QUESTION for you all (everyone who has read stox's book).

WHAT have you noticed? any changes? are people doing anything different? check calling flopped nut flush draws and check raising turns more? generally attempting turn semibluffs more often? what do you think the book has done to online poker, if anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot more people have a book to suggest when someone asks "what are good books for SH poker"

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha so true
Old 07-20-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But I don't recommend limit holdem as the best action is at NL. I recommend 6-max/5-max NL rather than 6-max LH (that additionally has a major rake problem especially these days when they rake more).

It's a big mistake these days to play/study limit.

I played limit eight years online and just lately had to wake up to the facts and start playing NLH shorthanded. Plenty other LH SH players have also moved from limit to no-limit. When you wake up to that fact, you will wonder why you didn't see it before, and all it would have taken is to take SH NL holdem instead of SH LH, that simple is that and all is much better.

The limit games are increasingly tough these days and the edges too small compared to the rake or the bet sizes. It's on the books now and it's basically just a "mechanical" book game, so getting enough edge over decent players is hard. It's all much better at NL and limit poker is a rare game at many sites.

Most fish is found from NL these days and one doesn't need like two fish there (that's not usually there at limit) but just one fish will do, and if one gets good even no-fish will do as there are bigger skill level differences at no-limit compared to limit, just abc-play won't do as well at no-limit than it does at limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a big mistake to learn limit? Do a lot of you limit players agree with this? I figured limit would be around way after NL. I have just started playing this past February, started with NL sit n go's and micro NL. I found limit after a few months and I much rather play limit. Isn't there any sites out there that have a better rake for limit poker? What about limit poker outside of the US?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:35 PM

f the haters

I'd most likely make more scrilla playing nl but I like playing limit more
Old 07-20-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One 2+2, another coming out September and there's some book in the middle too (a likely non-2+2 book) that's coming out likely before that (though I don't know how good it is), so three.

But I don't recommend limit holdem as the best action is at NL. I recommend 6-max/5-max NL rather than 6-max LH (that additionally has a major rake problem especially these days when they rake more).

It's a big mistake these days to play/study limit.

I played limit eight years online and just lately had to wake up to the facts and start playing NLH shorthanded. Plenty other LH SH players have also moved from limit to no-limit. When you wake up to that fact, you will wonder why you didn't see it before, and all it would have taken is to take SH NL holdem instead of SH LH, that simple is that and all is much better.

The limit games are increasingly tough these days and the edges too small compared to the rake or the bet sizes. It's on the books now and it's basically just a "mechanical" book game, so getting enough edge over decent players is hard. It's all much better at NL and limit poker is a rare game at many sites.

Most fish is found from NL these days and one doesn't need like two fish there (that's not usually there at limit) but just one fish will do, and if one gets good even no-fish will do as there are bigger skill level differences at no-limit compared to limit, just abc-play won't do as well at no-limit than it does at limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blahblahblah bet more on the turn, lol minbet, nice pooflinging blahblahblah. Take this garbage to BBV.

Even though I'm playing more NL these days myself, I think limit is still both profitable and valuable for any player who has an edge. Seriously, why do we even debate which one is a 'better' game?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i've always felt like people open way too much from the SB anyway so i don't think i can feel like people are raising even more. i have seen a list of his suggested range and i play tighter than it and won't adjust simply because i hate playing out of position and running bad in that spot. bet, bet, c/f. bet, b/f. pfr, call 3-bet, c/f flop, etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah I just got K4 in the SB & was legitimately hoping for button to raise so I wouldn't have to play.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:22 AM

"Yah I just got K4 in the SB & was legitimately hoping for button to raise so I wouldn't have to play"

LO freakin L [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So glad I am not the only one! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2007, 04:01 AM

King Yao's Weighing the Odds is a very nice book for analyzing HU situations, and has some good information on short-handed play. He analyzes table situation full-ring down HU pre-flop. This is one of my favorite books.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:58 AM

Maybe I´m seeing ghosts. But I feel like I get three-bet a little more preflop when I open raise in late position.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:18 AM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i've always felt like people open way too much from the SB anyway so i don't think i can feel like people are raising even more. i have seen a list of his suggested range and i play tighter than it and won't adjust simply because i hate playing out of position and running bad in that spot. bet, bet, c/f. bet, b/f. pfr, call 3-bet, c/f flop, etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah I just got K4 in the SB & was legitimately hoping for button to raise so I wouldn't have to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nit

FWIW, I too have been getting a little more selective when it comes to raising from the SB. It's less card-dependant and more opponent-dependant for me now though. This is likely a pretty obvious concept that I've just recently been picking up on, but I try to stay out of BvB confrontations with aggressive players
Old 07-21-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you have to play anyway. It costs you a tiny fraction of a bet to fold. Pick your spots, fold the rest. I pick up on players who are raising too often from sb very quickly and start at least calling 90% of my holdings and three-betting half of them.