Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Looking for pointers on learning to play guitar.

I am planning on taking lessons, and either borrowing or buying a guitar from a friend. I am musically inclined, and while I can't actually read music, I can fake through singing sheet music decently. I'm big on reading, so what books would you recommend for a complete guitar noob, and also opinions, etc on fender vs gibson, etc.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Looking for pointers on learning to play guitar.

there have been like five threads on this in the last month, use the search function.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and also opinions, etc on fender vs gibson

[/ QUOTE ]

When considering tone, you need to be as concerned (if not more so) with the amplifier you're gonna buy. My advice is to get an all-tube amp. Peavey has a good tube/combo amp at a cheap price: Valve King 112 (1x12 combo) 50 watts for about $429 [the sustain on this little amp is amazing]. If your ear cannot yet differentiate between the sound of a solid state amp vs. a tube amp, and you want a bunch of different effects, a solid state amp to consider is the Line6 Spider III 120 Modeling Combo Amplifier for about $400.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Guitar Hero.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:00 PM

A good start is learn how to read sheet music, learn the fretboard, and practice pentatonic scales.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guitar Hero.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this is true. Seems like a fun way to do it.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:14 PM

The skill sets required to play Guitar Hero and real guitar are mutually exclusive.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:37 PM

why not distinguish yourself by learning an instrument that less people know how to play? Like piano.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:53 PM

1. Learn scales and theory first, everything makes a lot more sense after that. the songs you learn will be in a pattern you recognize instead of being on random frets.

2. make an effort to do all the annoying little things your teacher tells you to right from the very beginning. its worth it, if you dont youll pay later. to get good you have to want to do these little things right.

3. play everything very very slowly at first. if you want to learn a song you should play it at 1/3 its normal speed. this is really important. if you are trying to learn a new song and are having trouble, play it as slowly as you have to to get every single note right. sometimes this means really, really slowly, but thats how you learn.

4. dont get discouraged. I started learning over a summer vacation when I had all day, and I played for hours everyday, and I would sit there thinking "what the [censored], I'm not getting better". I actually was improving a lot, I just wasnt comparing myself over a long enough period. imagine if you were teaching someone poker and telling them about the long run... in learning guitar, the long run is really long too. youll end up getting discouraged anyway, I did, but then after two months of plugging away, day after day, youll randomly try to play a song you never could and you will be able to.

5-100. dont get discouraged

three good books to start with:

the guitar handbook, denyer- start with this book

mjs total scales techniques and applications- teaches you everything about scales. it is good for after you have a good grip on the basics. it isnt that well written or laid out, it took me a while to understand it but this is everything you need to know about scales. there is a [censored] of info in this. it is slow going, but every hour you put into it is easily, easily worth it. these two are indispensable to me.

hal leonard guitar fitness- this is what i used, a ton of good practice exercises
Old 05-13-2007, 09:26 PM

So I guess you're happy with your investment IQ89?

Also, in response to the poster who recommended learning to read sheet music: I'm sure it would be good to be able to, but from my experience most guitarists, even excellent players, don't know how. If you have a good ear and can read tabs you'll be okay without sheet music. I've never learned a song any other way than by picking it up by ear and very occasionally by reading tabs.