Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Physics Q

There are two magnets stuck together through magnetic force but there is a pane of glass seperating them, when I spin the magnet closest to me clockwise, both of the magnets spin and move to the right and down, when I spin them anti-clockwise, they spin and move to the left and down.

Could someone please summarise the forces involved that make the magnet either shift left or right in both scenarios, I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but one of my friends disagrees.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Physics Q

I'm gonna take a stab at this.

I'm gonna say that centripetal force causes it to move either right when spinning clockwise or left when spinning counter-clockwise (you said anti-clockwise haha, you silly Brit [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

Edit: Ok, maybe it's not centripetal force, now that I think about it. Centrifugal force? Well, centripetal force is the force pushing in and centrifugal force pushes out. Hmmm. Well, the direction of the velocity of the object spinning is tangent to the circle, so...hmmm...now I'm just talking out of my ass.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:22 PM

I'm pretty sure magic is involved. I can't say whether it's white magic or black magic, but I'm sure there's a druid, cleric or osteopath around who can clarify this.

Swede
Old 03-29-2007, 06:24 PM

The magnets are black so I'm sure its black magic.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:30 PM

If I were to guess, I'd say that what's going on is that you're not imparting pure torque to these things (that is, just clockwise/counterclockwise rotation) but instead are also including some kind of non-zero net force as well. I suspect that force is going to go different ways depending on how you're spinning it. Out of curiosity, does it matter which hand you use to spin them?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure magic is involved. I can't say whether it's white magic or black magic, but I'm sure there's a druid, cleric or osteopath around who can clarify this.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The magnets are black so I'm sure its black magic.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. And IAARS (I am a rocket scientist).
Old 03-29-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I were to guess, I'd say that what's going on is that you're not imparting pure torque to these things (that is, just clockwise/counterclockwise rotation) but instead are also including some kind of non-zero net force as well. I suspect that force is going to go different ways depending on how you're spinning it. Out of curiosity, does it matter which hand you use to spin them?

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no difference whatsoever, doesn't matter how you spin the magnets, they will always move in the same direction.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 PM

Move to SMP.

This sort of intelligent discussion has no place in OOT.

Ban.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:53 PM

You're asking what force is keeping the magnets spinning together in the same direction when you spin one? I would have to go with the electro-magnetic force. What does the glass have to do with anything?
Old 03-29-2007, 07:00 PM

I'm not sure if I understand what you're doing. You're turning one magnet by hand? And this is the only force you're applying to the magnets beyond the forces already acting upon the magnets while they're at rest? What happens if you rotate clockwise and simultaneously drag the magnets to the left and up? Would they still be moving to the right and down?