Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2006, 12:18 AM

Default Raise and call, short stack with little FE

$500 live MTT. 22 players left, 5 places pay. Average stack 20K. UTG, 3rd position, and blinds are all between 15K and 30K; don't have exact counts. Blinds 300/600/100, 7-handed. UTG and 3rd position are both loose preflop.

UTG raises to 2000, 3rd position call. I am on button with 6300. What hands should I play? I think I need a pretty strong hand. If I play, should I push, or is calling better with certain hands; if so, which?

I think the answer is pretty obvious for the hand I had, but I thought it was an interesting general question.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Raise and call, short stack with little FE

push 88+/AT+/KQs+
Old 10-07-2006, 12:51 AM

I guess my question is would there be any reason to flat call with the intention of usually getting the rest in on the flop, rather than pushing.

I would also think you need a little tighter range against early position action, even from loose players, atleast AQo+, AJs, 99+, and maybe tighter.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:00 AM

the problem with this is the increasing odds each player is getting to flat call. and since whatever hand you play is most likely going to be for your stack, i don't think we want to play a multiway pot if we don't have to.

maybe AA. if you do the math assuming a 3-way pot and you get it AI on the flop... it might be more +EV to just call with AA or something
Old 10-07-2006, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the problem with this is the increasing odds each player is getting to flat call. and since whatever hand you play is most likely going to be for your stack, i don't think we want to play a multiway pot if we don't have to.

maybe AA. if you do the math assuming a 3-way pot and you get it AI on the flop... it might be more +EV to just call with AA or something

[/ QUOTE ]
If I push, the blinds probably fold, where one of them may call if I flat call.

The problem is if I push, the two players already in the hand probably flat call and check it down, unless UTG pushes to isolate, maybe with a big hand. If I have a good hand, I don't mind building a big pot, but I would kind of like to get people to fold after putting in 2K.

If I call, someone may be the flop and force others out. Also, I will usually push if no one bets and may get folds. Also, there is more possibility of a reraise from the blinds if I call.

I disagree about AA. With AA, I think you definately want to push and build as big a pot as possible preflop.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:21 AM

Push TT+ and AK. Fold everything else. Live players have hands utg unless you know they're good.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree about AA. With AA, I think you definately want to push and build as big a pot as possible preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough. i'm just saying its probably > cEV.

calling 1/3 of your stack pf is suspicious. i'm not sure it will induce an isolation raise pf... and anyone that hits the flop will play... so you have to hit the flop too... the hand will be tougher to win if its multiway...
Old 10-07-2006, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Push TT+ and AK. Fold everything else. Live players have hands utg unless you know they're good.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
UTG and 3rd position are both loose preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-07-2006, 01:33 AM

Yeah> Why would you want to play a marginal 3-way for about a third of your stack even with position?

Jam's gonna need a pretty tight range. FE against a raiser and a caller's not high enough to allow for much else.

If you're willing to ignore immediate set value, 22-88 have merit for a call and a passive line till turn. Let them get the money in for you if you hit your set.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:33 AM

Then add AQ and 99. I'm still not cramming too loose here.