Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 08:24 AM

Default Interesting FT situation

BS is good and has also helpfully hit everything on the FT. He has just eliminated the SS in fifth bet-calling 92o from the button. The guys in 3rd and 4th aren't much good. The FT has been quick so far and I've been content to let the BS run over the table and have maintained my stack, playing very passive on the whole. I've just raise-folded UTG to the BS's shove when I deviated from this plan a little.

So, taking this example, how do we play here? BS's range is 90% of hands, perhaps any two. He has more than 3x of my stack behind. I have almost 3x the guy in second etc. Just fold? Call and play poker? Raise?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t600/t1200
(Ante: t125)
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t187520
Hero: t50071
SB: t11233
BB: t21176

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to t3600</font>, Hero?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Interesting FT situation

I think it depends on how disclipined BS has been playing postflop. With those stack and blind sizes, I'd imagine you've seen him play enough postflop situations that you should have an accurate gauge on his tendencies. If not, well.

KJo is kind of a straw monster 4-handed. It's probably as strong in a vacuum as middle to highish pairs, not necessarily premium pairs, along with strong Axs/os holdings. IP and not reopening the action PF anyways.

However, this is largely dependent on Villain's postflop tendencies, so the value does vary depending on that.

From a pure vacuum $EV standpoint, this is likely a fold. However, if you think you can get him to stack off light on draws/second pair to your TPGK, I don't think a call is all that horrible. I wouldn't be eager to take that action, however, as it's marginal at best.

Raising is a spew if Villain is going to call the reraise anyway. You've invested a fairly large chunk of your stack, the flop pot size will mandate you make some decisions to commit on weakish draws, and there is scant room to float on flops to weaker situations than that after you've created an inflated pot preflop.

If you get 4-bet here, you're pretty much going to be behind a range that is now effectively polarized to the stronger part of his range. Which can't be all that weak UTG initially if he's looking to pick off one of the blinds.

Seems like a fairly standard fold in a vacuum situation.