Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2006, 02:53 AM

Default Losing streak

At $50 nl, is 17k hands an unusually long losing streak for a winning (historically anyway) player? I don't ever remember having one this long.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Losing streak

How bad?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:27 AM

-20PTBB...in the beginning of this I was up 430PTBB, so, it's also kind of a 8k hand -450PTBB
Old 12-15-2006, 03:48 AM

Is it possible that you've become wrestless at these stakes and are trying to make too many elaborate moves? It has happened to me more than once before so that is why I ask. Have you taken time off? Tilt easily? Of course if you're putting you're money in when you're ahead there's nothing you can do but I suspect it's more than that if it's over 17k hands. Do you spot any consistent mistakes? Spots that you get wrong over and over again? I suspect you and I are in the same boat, as I have hit a losing/break even streak myself and it's never happened to me before so I don't quite know how to best deal with it but I'm learning (things are turning around though), feel free to PM me about it and we can exchange email addresses or something if you want to go over some hands together I'd be happy to offer whatever advice I can (Like you, I'm a winning player at the lower limits). Don't know if this post helped at all but hope it did.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:14 AM

I never discount bad play. I think it's possible I have been trying too hard to be tricky, but unlikely. I'd say, 300PTBB or so are from getting it all in with hands that have a 3-1 or 4-1 favorite and losing. Also, I really don't think that I've become too perdictable...possible, but, one thing that's happened is, from time to time, if I flop a 12-15 out draw I'll push all in against the person who leads the flop. I don't do this very often, but every time I did that this week and last I ran into a set and did not catch (maybe 5 times).

And I've tried standard betsize, proportional betsize, randomly chosen betsize (within limits) and...bluffs have just gotten called, semibluffs raised and solid hands folded to. Way more than usual.

One mistake I think I've made more than a couple times is, when playing against a LAG with a good hand like AQ, I've put a lot of money in and then ended up folding. Just a bad plan, if I feel vulnerable.

I think I'm going to drop down to $25 and switch back to Bodog for a while (at $50 mostly). I think another thing is, I have, for the longest time, played 2-3 pl/nl tables my other 1-2 pl omaha or 7stud, sometimes 1-2 pl/nl holdem and 2-3 omaha/studs. Unfortunately UB doesn't offer omaha or stud, particularly stud, to my liking, the games are rare and aren't very good (weak tight pl omaha is a strange bird). I would only play stud if it were possible to play 4 tables without having a seizure (not literally).

I'm also going to bring back the 90min max session w/o break alarm. Worked for me before.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:39 AM

I noticed I became very standerd in my moves. Yes I was getting some bad beats, and running into higher trips everytime I put my money all in with trips. I changed gears, looked at the players a little more, got back to having an understanding of what the mindset of the people I was up against. Changed gears with my betting and I also put a lot of thought into how I was percieved at my table.

I think going over a lot of the basics for me has turned me out of a near br killing streak. Playing smart, and patient has been working.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:41 AM

losing streaks, happen, and they can last a while: