Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 10:59 PM

Default Re: POLL: How Many Of You Are Aware?

[ QUOTE ]
I think your statement is a bit ridiculous. Is there some criteria for evaluating what interests us? You can get into a slippery slope with your logic.

For example, why should I care about 5,500 people when 150,000 die a year in the U.S. from bad medical treatment. Why should I care that 5,500 die when 1,000,000+ of my fellow citizens are locked up in prison. Why should I care about 5,500 people when 10,000s die on the roads in the U.S. each year. Why should I care about 5,500 people when there are untold incidence of child abuse each day in the U.S.

You can also twist the logic backwords. Why should i care about the deaths of 2,000 soldiers in Iraq over several years when 5,500 died in one day. Why should I care about 2,000 soldiers when 200,000+ people died in a big wave not to long ago.

There is no "should I care" arithmatic and the number of people affected (or killed) is not a criteria that holds any absolute truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point, and something I considered. BUt I think it works to further my point. I'm not saying you can worry or work for everything. Theres too many things out there for any one person. But if everyone just picks one cause, one killer, and says I'm gonna give a few bucks (or hours or support) to just one cause, it would be huge. Better than just throwing your hands up in the air and tucking your head in the sand.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:09 PM

Sorry in advance for the minor rant...

The media needs to be more accurate with their reporting. They have a "get the story out ASAP regardless of facts" mentality.

As far as the earthquake goes, shortly after the earthquake hit, there were reports of remote areas being hit and something like 35 deaths. A few hours later the death count increased to over a hundred. Then many hundreds... then a thousand...

When the media reported the deaths, they implied that their count was close to the final death toll. So unless you followed the story (and all the 'updates'), you would have an incorrect view of the full magnitude of the disaster.

You figure the media would learn after they underestimated the death toll of the 2004 tsunami by nearly a QUARTER MILLION.

Also, they also do not focus enough attention on the survivors who desperately need food/water/shelter just to survive.

As far as the Holloway case goes... young blonde, caucasian girls are good for ratings.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont watch the news or read the paper or anything

[/ QUOTE ]

why not? Don't you wish to know what is going on in the world you live in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't live in this "World" you speak of, I live in the U.S.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How would you feel if there was some pandemic that was limited to the United States and we desperately needed food and water and medicine supplies, but the rest of the world said "[censored] it. NO sweat off my sack. How does this affect me?" See where I'm going with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldnt matter if they said that, because I think this actually happened and our great leader refused aid. So it works out the same either way.

But thats more a political discussion, and like I said, I stopped caring about that stuff.