Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Default 4 card straight, raise/call/fold ?

I don't like how I played this flop turn action gives me no credit for a hand.

The river confused me completely, it appears as though it's an easy chop.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $259.60
BB: $197.00
UTG: $78.75
MP: $57.00
CO: $258.90
<font color="black">Hero (BTN): $369.95</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $2.00, MP folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $9.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $27.00</font>, 3 folds, CO calls $18.00

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($59) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
CO checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($59) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $34.00</font>, CO calls $34.00

<font color="black">River:</font> ($127) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">CO bets $122.00</font>

Also help w/ flop &amp; turn.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: 4 card straight, raise/call/fold ?

i dont think a raise does that much

edit: f it shove, try and fold a split
Old 06-11-2007, 07:07 PM

I fold preflop &lt;otherwise&gt; I bet the flop &lt;otherwise&gt; I check the turn &lt;otherwise&gt; I grudgingly call the river
Old 06-11-2007, 07:08 PM

Maulik-
i noticed in several of the hands youve posted that after 3 betting PF, you check the flop when you miss... is your default play to check the flop in rerasied pots?

in this hand if i checkd the flop id also check the turn becasue hes calling you with any pair and any draw.

ehhh just call river. no Ace is ever folding, and shoving just stacks yourself vs the infrequent flushes
Old 06-11-2007, 09:41 PM

cs3,

It seems as though the flop bet his most of his range. When the turn is checked I'm assuming he's weak.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cs3,

It seems as though the flop bet his most of his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not quite sure im understantding what you mean here, so please correct me if im wrong....
i you mean "i think villain bets flop with most of his range if he has a strong hand" i think thats not true. i expect him to check to the PF reraiser the vast majority of the time.

and on the turn youre right, he probaly is weak, but theres no way hes giving you credit for anything when you checked behind on the flop so hes calling with any piece.
and hes def not value betting worse on the river... if he was dumb enough to do that i cant see him ever caling a push. i really see no value at all in shoving this river. expect to see a flush maybe 20% of the time( i think 89ss and 9Jss both would take this line if they could get to the flop that way), and another A 75%. random stupid suff the other 5%
Old 06-12-2007, 10:13 AM

cs3,

I wnat to say I, the flop hit most of his range. When he did not lead the turn that leads us to beleive he's weak.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:19 AM

GRUNCH

i don't mind the way you played the flop. it hit a LOT of his range and it would be a shame to get blown off the gutshot before you stack his KK-JJ, AK etc. I hate the turn bet: is it a bluff? a value bet?

As played call the river. it's a very strange bet, and hell, he might be bluffing.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:07 AM

Unless UTG open-limps a lot and then folds to a raise I don't think we're up against a suited connector. We're not afraid of the suited ace, or the middle pair.

He's NOT betting at you which lends to the suited connector or middle pair theory. He may be slowplaying a set but even poor players probably don't check twice unless you've a habit of leading into a checked pot. I don't mind teh full pot bet because at this point he's either way too trappy or he's drawing.

A set is probably out, the big pair is probably out, TPTK hasn't led into you so is probably out. We've got flush draws, straight draws, and two pair(which may be nervous on that board but probably leads). Well, most of those made it. Straight is chopping (maybe he has a 9 but I doubt it) Flush is beating us and NOT folding, Straight is chopping and not folding. 2 pair will somtimes call a reraise but not likely with a 4 straight and the made flush on board. Easy call on river but don't be surprised if that flush comes

The flop? Well it looks a little bitter to CBet it. Hit chunks of his range (AK,JT,AJ,QJ) and tehres a decent chance he has a middle pair and has you beat

I think you're up against a flush draw a little too often for comfort but not enough to fold. Let say were up against the flush 1/3 of the time, but you only need to win 1 in three pots to make the call worthwile. He has to have the flush(or chop) more than 2/3 of the time for you to fold, and given board I don't like raising cause we're often just feeding the rake. I don't think we get value out of weaker hands given a 4 straight and a 3 flush. He lead for half his stack so he has something and he knows where it stands on that board. You don't which puts you at the disadvantage.

No raises you probably weren't reraising PF with any two suited and the faces of your suit are out, so he's not believing you have a flush unless its a royal. If he doesn't have at least a straight hes folding out, and if he has that much he'll be all in in a second which is good only with the 9.

Anyways enough poker lecture from the amateur.

I don't mind a fold here but a flush doesn't make sense. Even so you're at negative equity for the most part (you lose to flushes and break even to royals so he has to bluff 1/3 of the time for you to make money). A call isn't bad either since its so often a chop and every once in a while two pair or a lesser straight. Mostly it would be read dependent on whether he likes to bluff a scare card.

If he's a strong player he may have bet the A precisely to confuse you and maybe fold out a chop
Old 06-21-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

in this hand if i checkd the flop id also check the turn becasue hes calling you with any pair and any draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would want him to call with any pair and any draw. First of all you make money on the draws because you have the best hand, and odds are the draw won't make on the river. As for pairs, pair of kings isn't going to check flop and turn very much, unless this is a special opponent. If the underpair or pair of tens weaker kicker calls, good your winning. Pair of jacks might bet out turn, but if not that is all your worried about. Kind of a drawing board to check flop and turn with better hands.