Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Decision at WPT Gulf Coast Championship FT

When the BB says "Raise" out of turn, how can that be binding when he does not know the bet he faces? When he likely thought Edler called?

Edler knows that the BB wants to raise. He thus has an informational advantage when sizing his raise. He should be allowed to size his raise knowing that the BB intended to raise.

The BB should thereafter be free to raise, call or fold no matter what Edler's raise size.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When the BB says "Raise" out of turn, how can that be binding when he does not know the bet he faces? When he likely thought Edler called?

[/ QUOTE ]
My feeling is that it's every player's responsibility to know the action in front of them before they act. If they weren't paying attention and/or didn't bother to ask...too bad. If they were told by the dealer incorrect action or amount...that's different and the verbal wouldn't be binding.

It just seems that some of these rulings are really encouraging people to act out of turn...why not if you're not going to be bound by it. You can act out of turn, influence the action before you...then get a do over when it's your turn?

Maybe this comes from where I first started playing. There... if you acted out of turn you were (almost always) bound to it...if your money went over the line it stayed in the pot...period.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pkrporcupine,
I think different people interpret the ""If a player acts out of turn his decision is binding only if the action does not change in front of him" statement a little differently (one might even argue that the action didn't change...only the amount...covered in another rule/blurb mentioned in this thread).

[/ QUOTE ]
I very rarely work as a floorperson, but I was to believe that the amount is considered part of the action. Am I wrong here?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:58 PM

Edler is entitled to know his options and how it affects the
other players' options. The BB is only forced to reraise,
when Edler raises minimum. Then BB is forced to reraise at
least minimum. Edler should be told that the BB may fold
if he raises more than minimum.
Next time he will know his options. Would that be
considered an unfair advantage?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:27 AM

1) Bill must raise. If he raises any amount except minimum, then BB action is not binding and play continues with all actions available to BB and Tom

2) If Bill chooses to raise minimum, BB must reraise but can raise any amount he wants and play continues. Tom now has all options open, but if he opts to flat-call, Bill is not allowed to reraise again. If Tom folds, Bill has all options open.

3) This ruling should be explained prior to Bill's actions.

I think this "slightly" but not overly penalizes the BB which is fine. It does not penalize Bill (perhaps he wants to force both out of the pot rather than get a "forced" reraise from BB), and does not allow Bill to benefit vs. Tom, while at the same time allows him to put pressure on both players with a bigger raise.