Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Top 10 favorite video games of all time?

Put some thought into it, don't just list them off the top of your head. Order them if you can.

1 - Dark Wizard (Sega CD)

To this day my most memorable and enjoyable experience with video gaming came with this little known gem of a strategy RPG. You can choose 4 different leaders, all with different motives, morals and storylines, to travel through a vast medieval world. The gameplay is basically perfection to me and so is the music. Think Final Fantasy tactics, but instead of fighting with 6 units you get 40 on a much bigger map! Every encounter is not just a battle, it's a war. Plenty of hidden items and special characters to recruit/train along with an awesome customizable class system for leveling up. They don't even let you fight the real final boss and see the real endings unless you discover certain secrets, and you'd never know any better if you didn't discover them.

2 - Civilization 2 (PC)

I had a really tough time not making this my number one pick, but Dark Wizard just goes that extra mile for me. If I had to choose one game to be stuck with for the rest of my life however, this would be an easy choice. I have wasted so many hours playing this game over and over and over that I'd be ashamed if someone actually know how many it was in total. Easily the best strategy game ever made in my opinion with unparalleled replayability. I know Civ 3 and 4 had certain features that were superior to Civ 2, but they also lacked in other areas and there's just something about this game that I can't really put into words that makes me like it better. I would probably have to put all of the Civilization games into my top 10 normally, but they're so similar that I am going to leave it to just the one.

3 - Final Fantasy IV (SNES)

I know it's not very cool to have a Final Fantasy game on your list because EVERYONE does, but I can't help it. I got more emotionally attached to the story of this game than any other I have played. The first time I ever stayed up all night was exploring the underground world with all the dwarves and fairies and summon monsters. I simply could not put down the controller and I wasn't even tired the next morning. Every time one of my characters died or left my party I was hanging on the edge of my seat. I can't say that about many other games. The music was also some of the best VGM ever written and that means a lot to me. Aside from this being the first FF I ever played, the reason I like it better than the others is because your characters aren't all cookie cutter creations like in FF7 where the only thing that separates one character's ability from another's is their limit break. It's much more fun if you actually have to do things like protect your white mage because they're the only one who can bring your other party members back to life. That, the fact that they kept reducing the number of people allowed in your party, and the FMV fests got me to eventually stop playing them altogether. I think I finally quit halfway through FF8.

4 - Wing Commander 2: Revenge of the Kilrathi (PC)

As much as I love Star Wars and as good as Tie Fighter supposedly was, I always went with the Wing Commander series for my space flight sim fix instead. Discovered it via a random rental of the original on the SNES. Fell in love with it and dedicated myself to mastering it, which meant killing every single ship without dying on every mission, unlocking every secret mission and hunting down the 4 ace pilots of the Kilrathi fleet. Found WC2 years later for the PC and was not disappointed by it at all. It was everything the first was with better graphics, more ships/weapons and a far more interesting story. So as much history as I have with the original, I must give the top 10 spot to this masterpiece.

5 - Super smash Brothers (Nintendo 64)

I don't even want to get into why I think it's better than Melee because it's an argument that can't be won, but I do. I have been playing this game with my close circle of friends for about 6 years now and we are all masters. we used to be obsessed with it to the point of playing multiple sessions every day. It is the most fun multiplayer game in existence. That's all I have to say about that.

6 - The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Again, can't hate on something just because it's popular. If you're in your late 20s, when you were a child this was THE game. It was all anyone could ever talk about in school and was one of the only games that you even saw people's parents getting into. A truly innovative classic for all time. I actually think "A Link to the Past" (Zelda 3) is a better game overall, but in this case for whatever reason I am biased in favor of the original.

7 - 007: Goldeneye (Nintendo 64)

In stiff competition with SSB64 for most fun multiplayer game ever, but I don't have to tell most of you that. The majority of us remember the era of Bond quite well where any time you went to someone's house there were kids playing Goldeneye together. It lasted nearly a year where I lived. Perfect Dark was technically superior but lacked the style and charm of Goldeneye that everyone loved. I was probably better at this game than any other in my lifetime.

8 - Kings Quest 3: To Heir is Human (PC)

I doubt many of us could truly enjoy this game today with the clumsy interface and awful graphics, but back when these Sierra games were cutting edge stuff, the Kings Quest series was my obsession. I played constantly until I achieved perfect scores in KQ1 through KQ5. KQ3 was my favorite because I really enjoyed the story and the whole process of finding ingredients all over the land to prepare magic spells in your evil wizard master's basement. I remember many a late night where I would be grinding some funky root or herb with the mortar and pestle while rushing trying to type in the magic words perfectly (because if you misspelled anything you were [censored]) only to have that [censored] wizard Manannan come back from his trip early, catch me doing my business and turn me into a cat.

9 - Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 (PC)

By far the best RTS game I have ever played including Starcraft. Gameplay is near perfect IMO. Storyline is awesome. Team balancing is good. Units are 1337. Music is off da hook!

10 - Lunar 2: Eternal Blue (Sega CD)

Another little known Sega CD miracle of an RPG. The original was a already a classic, but the second one somehow managed to top it. Great storyline, well developed and unique characters, cool attacks and villains, beautiful music and anything else you might want from an RPG.

Honorable mention: Dragon Warrior, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Dragon Ball Z 2, Super Mario Kart, Strider, Megaman 2, Heart of the Alien, Sim Ant.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Top 10 favorite video games of all time?

God, I want to go off the top of my head so bad; but I'll hold off until tomorrow. Chrono Trigger, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Mega Man 2, FFVII, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night are all going to be on there somewhere...
Old 05-21-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God, I want to go off the top of my head so bad; but I'll hold off until tomorrow. Chrono Trigger, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Mega Man 2, FFVII, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night are all going to be on there somewhere...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're cheating, there's already a thread for that.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:02 AM

10. NBA JAM
So classic. "He's on fire!" One of the first games that played really well with 2 players co-operatively.

9. DONKEY KONG COUNTRY
Very original and fun platform game. The graphics were breathtaking and really immersed you into the world.

8. DUKE NUKEM 3D
This didn't get enough love because it game out at the same time as Quake, but another game with a lot of character. The weapons were so cool in multiplayer mode. I remember playing on network mode all day and night.

7. GOLDENEYE
Don't have much to add to the OP's post about this one.

6. STARFOX 64
Awesome fun in both 1 and 2 player modes.

5. SUPER MARIO BROS 3
Yep.

4. GRAND THEFT AUTO 3
How awesome was this when it first came out?

3. COUNTER STRIKE
Every day I would sleep through class in highschool because I'd play until 4am.

2. SUPER MARIO KART
There really are no video game experiences that can live up to the battle mode in the original mario kart.

1. PES6/WINNING 11
I haven't been able to stop playing these games since it was called "international superstar soccer" It's just too fun, and no matter how much you practice, you can keep improving.

edit: I forgot warcraft 2. That should be in there somewhere.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:13 AM

I probably haven't played as many video games as most of you have..but here we go..from 1st to 10th

Final Fantasy X (Playstation 2)
Starcraft (PC)
Counter-Strike (either source or 1.6) (PC)
Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64)
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)
Perfect Dark (Nintendo 64)
Halo 2 (X Box)
Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES)
Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS 1 was it?)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 Arcade Version (NES)
Old 05-21-2007, 12:42 PM

Ultima Online
FF3
FF7 (ps)
oregan trail
Tetris
Goldeneye
Super Mario (snes)
Super Metroid (snes)
Zelda (snes)
Old 05-21-2007, 12:55 PM

In no particular order:

FF2 (snes)
FF7 (ps)
Diablo 2
Warcraft
Civilization 2
Halo
Knights of the Old Republic (xbox)
Madden 2001 (ps2)
Super Mario Bros 3
Jedi Knight 2
Old 05-21-2007, 01:33 PM

active top 5 video games of all time thread here
Old 05-21-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ultima Online
FF3
FF7 (ps)
oregan trail
Tetris
Goldeneye
Super Mario (snes)
Super Metroid (snes)
Zelda (snes)

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone from Eugene, this caught my eye.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:06 PM

Don't list.