Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: What book to get for total poker newbie?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Getting Started in Hold'em by Ed Miller.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the poker hand types are for non-flop poker and not exclusive to hold'em poker. Look at what he says about Royal Flushes (the highest hand). He says only another Royal Flush would tie it. Well, in hold'em it is not possible for two people to both have royal flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone in the hand after the river card has been dealt can have a Royal Flush if the cards forming it are all community cards. It is when a player holds one or more of the cards in his hand that he is the only winner. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that the poker hand types are for non-flop poker and not exclusive to hold'em poker. Look at what he says about Royal Flushes (the highest hand). He says only another Royal Flush would tie it. Well, in hold'em it is not possible for two people to both have royal flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone in the hand after the river card has been dealt can have a Royal Flush if the cards forming it are all community cards. It is when a player holds one or more of the cards in his hand that he is the only winner. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is something my significant other pointed out and I can vouch for what you say being the truth.

I often tell people that I once had a Royal Flush and I did not win the pot. The reason being that it was a game of Texas Hold'Em and the Royal was on the board. It was a split pot between one other player and myself so I won half the pot.

What I meant is that it is not possible for two people to have Royal Flushes with both using cards in their hand.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is something my significant other pointed out and I can vouch for what you say being the truth.

What I meant is that it is not possible for two people to have Royal Flushes with both using cards in their hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont quite see why it's a problem with the book then as you suggested in your earlier post?
Nor do i see a problem with what Miller says in that paragraph..all he is doing is giving a basic description of hand rankings...on page 4!

At the end of that chapter he mentions that hands are made of the best five cards out of seven.

The next chapter is on the Rules of Texas HOld em,
Followed by an example hand.

Then there is a chapter on reading the board (20 Q's )followed by a chapter on who wins (more Q's on reading the board!!)

the next chapter he talks about how hands are much stronger if they incorporate both your hole cards rather than one or none.

I recommend you read the whole book, you might not need to learn the things he talks about, but it will show you what a good book it is.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2007, 10:19 PM

I just think he needed to have just one hand ranking and the text should be based on what is possible in the game under discussion.

This was supposed to be a book for those new to Texas Hold'Em. Not those new to poker.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think he needed to have just one hand ranking and the text should be based on what is possible in the game under discussion.

This was supposed to be a book for those new to Texas Hold'Em. Not those new to poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many players new to Texas Hold em are new to poker (i certainly was!), The two are not mutually exclusive. If you have experience in other forms of poker and making a move into texas hold em, you can still benefit by reading this book, however, you could also read ITH, for example, without it (if you intend playing limit).

I really do recommend you find time to read through it, i would be interested in finding out what you think about the whole of the book, and how it fits together.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2007, 04:45 AM

Reading GSIH is a must for any new player IMO. It gives a very solid theoretical foundation no matter what form of hold'em you wish to play.

If he really only wants to play NL hold'em, I'd direct him to Ed Miller's Easy Guide to NL Hold'em, and his current series on building a NL starting hand chart. Along with the rest of the info on his blog, it's the best free advice on the net.

If he wants to start out playing limit, then I agree with Gelford that Byron Jacob's beginner's book is excellent.