Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 05:15 PM

Default preflop spot, maybe standard

Live €2-€5 game. Nearly the end of the night, we are about to finish up the game. 5 handed. Button (7000) is a good aggressive player, I don't know whether he is up tonight but he is in for a good bit, he was drinking earlier but is now playing well. SB (1500) normally plays shortstacked, he is pretty straightforward with a normal stack. BB (3k) is a straightforward player, not very good. UTG (7k) I have never played before, however he seems to be the value, too loose on all streets and from all positions, however he just got out of a big hole thanks to me, I think he was in for precisely 7k. I haven't been at the table long, I was playing tight but am now on tilt because I have just lost two big pots, to UTG and SB. I now have €370.

UTG makes it €15 blind, I make it €30 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Button makes it €90. SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls. Back to me.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:34 PM

Default Re: preflop spot, maybe standard

I must be the world's biggest nit, but I'm never repopping with this hand. Given your line, I don't think I can find a fold for 60 more, but I don't really know how much you're ahead of here. What are you hoping to flop with this hand?
Old 12-20-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are you hoping to flop with this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given how this table apparently plays and his stack, I think RT will only be continuing if he flops quad 6s, and c-folds everything else.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:51 PM

In all seriousness, given the positions of your villains and the buttons' range (how much of it does he fold to a shove from you?), this isn't such a bad spot for a shove. Being on tilt helps.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:02 PM

if im not mistaken there's 390 in there and you have 340 behind. I know the hand kinda sucks but shouldnt you just push it in here and hope 2 go along with you and you flop big?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:28 AM

The button is a smart guy, he has some idea that I might be keen to play a big pot here, and he raised knowing that. So I expect he wants to play a big pot as well. I shoved and he repotted for €1380. Everyone got out of the way so I got HU for €370 each with €270 in dead money. This would be pretty good if I was playing on the blind but better than that, I have a double suited hand with some straight potential, I am in great shape.

Even if one or more other players come along I'm still in OK shape, but I'm pretty sure I should prefer to play against just one opponent with so much dead money. Given the circumstances (nearly the end of the night, none of the other players are stuck) I thought this was the most likely outcome.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:53 AM

Thanks RT, I wasn't really thinking clearly. I figured for your stack, you were getting the whole table to come along, and at least one or two of your probable draws was going to be dominated in that case. You also obviously don't have enough to shove anyone away on the flop, so if you're going to get your money in, it may as well be now.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The button is a smart guy, he has some idea that I might be keen to play a big pot here, and he raised knowing that. So I expect he wants to play a big pot as well. I shoved and he repotted for €1380. Everyone got out of the way so I got HU for €370 each with €270 in dead money. This would be pretty good if I was playing on the blind but better than that, I have a double suited hand with some straight potential, I am in great shape.

Even if one or more other players come along I'm still in OK shape, but I'm pretty sure I should prefer to play against just one opponent with so much dead money. Given the circumstances (nearly the end of the night, none of the other players are stuck) I thought this was the most likely outcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh. This whole thing reeks of one of those marginal gambl-y plays that are definitely not max-e.v., but which you should throw in every once in a while anyway.