Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Worst blackjack player you\'ve ever seen?

I've seen lots of bad ones, and I'm sure we all have, but this one was the best:

I sat at the Plaza last week downtown just to kill a few minutes, and this woman's sole goal was to get as much money on the table as possible:

- she doubled every total less than 11, regardless of dealer card
- she split every pair
- she would almost always hit with less than 16 when the dealer had 2 through 6, and almost always stand on 14-16 when the dealer had 7 through A. don't know why.

Worst hand:
dealt 33 against a dealer A. Split 'em!
get another 3. Split 'em!
First card - 4 for a 7 total. Double!
second card - 10 for a 13. Stand!
Third card - 2 for a 5. Double!

Dealer, of course, doesn't bust, and she slams the table. "Don't you know my luck! What are the odds?!"
Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Worst blackjack player you\'ve ever seen?

My friends are pretty bad.

Stands 14 vs a dealer 10 because he "feels" a 10 coming" stands, next player hits and gets a 5, Friend says "oh"

Guy next to him later looks like Napoleon Dynamite and gets AA What does he do? Hits....

My friends later gets 5 and 2 for a total of 7 vs dealer 5. Thinks for a long time about doubling....WITH A 7!

That is all.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friends are pretty bad.

Stands 14 vs a dealer 10 because he "feels" a 10 coming" stands, next player hits and gets a 5, Friend says "oh"

Guy next to him later looks like Napoleon Dynamite and gets AA What does he do? Hits....

My friends later gets 5 and 2 for a total of 7 vs dealer 5. Thinks for a long time about doubling....WITH A 7!

That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no blackjack player but the last one doesn't seem bad. The dealer clearly has a pretty big bust hand. I've only played blackjack a few times and I can tell you I get more enjoyment out of people getting pissed because I did something "wrong" that causes the dealer to win than actually winning a hand.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:44 PM

I am a dealer and ive seen a lot of bad BJ players but a couple of funny things i saw were once when i first started dealing there was an asian lady playing who was about 80 and spoke no english at least i thought. About 6 hrs into my shift she was still there playing and still hadnt said a word when a very cocky young kid sits down and starts to play. He gets 20 and he puts up money to split his tens against my 5 .All of a sudden she yells out if you had a 10 inch d**k would you cut it in half. I almost pissed myself i was laughing so hard
The other was a few years ago im dealing and a player comes up and bets a 5K chip behind another persons 100$ bet. (Backline bet we call it). I proced to deal and give them a 20. Now the guy in the front controls the hand and looks at the other and says you either give me 2500 or im going to hit this. The guy in the back starts to freak out and says im down 100k and this is my last bet and youre trying to pull this [censored]. He says yep. The other guy says F-Off you aint getting [censored] from me so the guy with the 100$ bet hits and breaks. They start to go at it more when the guy with the 5K bet takes a swing at the other and misses of course. The other then picks up a glass ash tray on the table and procedes to hit the guy right in the head knocking him out. Security comes along with the EMT and takes them both away.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:50 PM

doubling 7 on ANY dealer upcard using ANY number of decks is not profitable. a starting hand of hard 7 in any blackjack game is extremely marginal, and doubling (regardless of upcard or table conditions) would be solidly -EV in the long run.

however, I did have to look at the charts in BJA3 to confirm this, so I admit your theory seemed somewhat intuitive to start. unfortunately, it doesn't hold up.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:56 PM

Yea. The minimum total you should double with is a 9 and thats only with the dealer shows a 4,5, or 6.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now the guy in the front controls the hand and looks at the other and says you either give me 2500 or im going to hit this.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 07-12-2007, 01:00 PM

When I was at blue chip i sat down with a guy who had about $600 in front of him and he had no clue how to play. I mean literally not a clue and the dealer said he started with $25 betting $5 a hand. And just kept increasing his bet. He left with about $1000. And the dealer asked if he wanted to color up and he said yes. He made one big stack in his betting circle and the dealer almost dealt him a card. My dad had to wave his hand in front of the dealer to stop him.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea. The minimum total you should double with is a 9 and thats only with the dealer shows a 4,5, or 6.

[/ QUOTE ]
that's not enough information to use as gospel.

in an old school single deck game (BJ pays 3:2), you double 8 vs. dealer 5 or 6, and double 9 against 2 through 6.

typical 6-8 deck shoe game, double 9 against 3/4/5/6 are all +EV.

best strategy is to generate the chart for the exact game conditions that you're going to play, before sitting down and making your first bet.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a dealer and ive seen a lot of bad BJ players but a couple of funny things i saw were once when i first started dealing there was an asian lady playing who was about 80 and spoke no english at least i thought. About 6 hrs into my shift she was still there playing and still hadnt said a word when a very cocky young kid sits down and starts to play. He gets 20 and he puts up money to split his tens against my 5 .All of a sudden she yells out if you had a 10 inch d**k would you cut it in half. I almost pissed myself i was laughing so hard
The other was a few years ago im dealing and a player comes up and bets a 5K chip behind another persons 100$ bet. (Backline bet we call it). I proced to deal and give them a 20. Now the guy in the front controls the hand and looks at the other and says you either give me 2500 or im going to hit this. The guy in the back starts to freak out and says im down 100k and this is my last bet and youre trying to pull this [censored]. He says yep. The other guy says F-Off you aint getting [censored] from me so the guy with the 100$ bet hits and breaks. They start to go at it more when the guy with the 5K bet takes a swing at the other and misses of course. The other then picks up a glass ash tray on the table and procedes to hit the guy right in the head knocking him out. Security comes along with the EMT and takes them both away.

[/ QUOTE ]

two great stories