Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which College Football Rating System Rates the Teams Most Accurately?
One or More of the Human Polls (AP, Harris, OR Coaches) 1 7.69%
Sagarin Predictor 2 15.38%
Another Computer Rating System 3 23.08%
BCS 1 7.69%
Compilation of Various Computer Ratings 4 30.77%
Some Combination of Human Polls and Computer Ratings But NOT the BCS 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Two tipping scenarios that have been bugging me

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to hijack, but this gives me an excuse to ask a tipping question that probably came up in talking with a friend.

You goto a bar. Your friend is bartending. If he was not there, the total bill should have been something like $40 + tip. He charges you for only a few drinks - and the bill comes out to $15. What is your tip for him?

My friend argued that we should go with option B, essentially giving our friend all the money that we saved instead of the bar. This seemed silly to me though, because I am then getting 0 hookup, and might as well use any bartender.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case I would double the tab and pay that. Usually works out well and you'll get hooked up again.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't tip; don't believe in it

[/ QUOTE ]

Most appropriate gimmick account ever?

NH sir.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:29 AM

If there's a mystery overcharge on a delivery order, it's usually a delivery charge. I wouldn't tip in addition to a delivery charge.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how the [censored] does he find your house if he doesnt speak english?

[/ QUOTE ]

my point is that he does speak english, he just 'forgets' when you start asking him difficult questions. this happens to me all the time.

but someone who doesn't speak english can be trained pretty quickly to read addresses or find buildings, especially if it's in a neighborhood he knows. you only need to know about a 20 block radius in most cities, maybe a little more.

z28, in answer to your question, you give the guy enough that he gets a sizeable extra tip, but not so much that you don't save any money. if he's just a casual friend or a cool bartender and not someone who you know well and get this treatment from all the time, tip a little more. so i would probably leave 35 bucks or so.

being friendly, appreciative and fun to have around is always a good compliment to a big tip when you are getting hooked up (or if you want to start getting hooked up in the future). especially if the bartender makes a lot of money anyway. if you get in the habit of tipping an absurd amount it has a way of escalating and just becomes weird after a while.

most bartenders i know give free drinks because they like someone and can get away with it. the added money is nice, and it varies by the person, but i would say most of the time if a friend is hooking you up, he is not overly concerned with getting a huge tip. so my main concern is not to make him feel like i'm bribing him and expecting to get hooked up every time i walk in the door.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Always tip a delivery person. Never [censored] with people who handle your food.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Especially chinese food delivery for me. The same guy delivers when I order. I tip well, and he gets me the food quick, and lately, there's been extra food in the bag. Well worth not being nitty over an extra dollar or two.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:38 AM

Go with option 2 , since your friend is a thief and will eventually be fired.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You goto a bar. Your friend is bartending. If he was not there, the total bill should have been something like $40 + tip. He charges you for only a few drinks - and the bill comes out to $15. What is your tip for him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to bartend and still go to places where I get hooked up by the bartenders. It is standard practice to tip the money that you would have paid for the drinks you were hooked up with, but no 20% on top of that is necessary.

So, if your tab would have been $40 and he only charged you $15, just give him $25 on top of that to make it $40 total.

Oh yeah, and Mr. Pink's diatribe about not tipping usually puts me on life tilt, esp. since it was only a dollar.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't tip; don't believe in it

[/ QUOTE ]

Most appropriate gimmick account ever?

NH sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

good, but there is a reason that there is no space between Mr. and Pink.

Mr. Pink
Old 09-25-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to bartend and still go to places where I get hooked up by the bartenders. It is standard practice to tip the money that you would have paid for the drinks you were hooked up with, but no 20% on top of that is necessary.

So, if your tab would have been $40 and he only charged you $15, just give him $25 on top of that to make it $40 total.

Oh yeah, and Mr. Pink's diatribe about not tipping usually puts me on life tilt, esp. since it was only a dollar.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this is what I would say the majority of people do, but it seems unbalanced to me. My friend ends up making $25, and I save $8. In terms of relative difference, the friend would have normally made $8 (so he's +$17), and getting a WAY better deal than I am.

Saving just the tip is almost negligible, and makes the hookup hardly worth it for me to go out of my way.

Maybe I'm just a cheap bastard? (FWIW, I actually do tip the full price - tip, but think it's unreasonable).
Old 09-25-2007, 12:20 PM

Redirect this thread to a forum where nitting your way thru life is discussed.