Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 AM

Default NCAA Lax Tournament

Anyone following this here?

Can someone explain how Cornell -- the only undefeated team (13-0), #1 for 2/3 of the year (unanimous most recently I believe), with a win over Duke -- not only isn't the #1 seed, but was dropped to #4? Behind Duke, Virginia (12-3), and Hopkins (9-4)?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Re: NCAA Lax Tournament

More than most other tournament selections, the lacrosse field is all about RPI and other formulas. Strength of schedule is 75% of the RPI rating in lacrosse, so a strong ACC, and a weaker Ivy League this season really hurt.

It was pretty well known that Cornell wasn't going to get the #1 seed, but a drop to #4 is rough. Even so, Cornell doesn't have the hardest early round games. Towson and then the winner of Albany/Loyola.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:17 AM

I'm not sure that's correct. I don't follow it that closely but this article on ESPN from last week said

[ QUOTE ]
Here's what we know: Cornell is unbeaten. The Big Red have handled every challenge thus far. They'll be the No. 1 seed. Duke has earned the No. 2 slot. Virginia is the likely No. 3 seed. Johns Hopkins and Georgetown will battle for the fourth seed. Both teams have beaten Maryland and Navy, and both have lost to Duke. Hopkins has a slight advantage based on a win against Syracuse and a stronger schedule.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to LAX Power, Cornell was #1 computer ranking, #2 RPI but #6 SOS. Seems like an unfair seeding.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:58 AM

I'm a Cornell grad, so I think it's a bad seeding too. I have been trying to wade through the posts on Lax Power, but it seems like no one else understands the selection process either.

I had read that Tambroni (Cornell coach) said he didn't expect the #1 seed. My guess is that they thought they would get the #2 because Duke had just passed them in the RPI ratings, but to fall behind JHU and Virginia teams is a little shocking.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:19 PM

Not that I agree at all with Cornell at #4, but the other teams records vs. top 10 teams are:

Cornell 2-0 (W-Duke & Princeton)
Duke 7-1 (W-Hopkins, UVA(2x), UNC(2x), G-Town, Maryland; L-Cornell)
Hopkins 3-3 (W-Princeton, Maryland, Navy; L-Duke, UVA, UNC)
Virginia 5-2 (W-Hopkins, Maryland (2x), Princeton, UNC; L-Duke (2x)

I'll be in Baltimore for the Final 4. Wish I had ESPNU so I could watch more than those 3 games.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:36 AM

Unfortunately we (Cornell) beat a lot of teams that looked better when we beat them then they did at the end of the year.

No biggie. Big Red is used to getting slighted by NCAA selection committees.

The draw is actual somewhat favorable to us. Combine that with the motivation that our guys will likely draw from the #4 next to their undefeated record, and most fans are ok with our position.

I'd love to get up to Ithaca this weeken, but I'll likely have to wait to go to Princeton the following week if we are there.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:06 PM

A few upsets in Round 1 and so we're without a few of the usual suspects for the quarterfinals.

Looking forward to the CU/Albany matchup. They Danes are going to be a tough opponent.

Slight dilemma for Saturday. Want to go to the noon game @ Princeton. Have tickets for Mets/Yanks at 3:55. That's a tough trip to get back to Shea in a little more than 90 minutes for the baseball game.