Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Going to WSOP from Canada. Need VISA?

Im from Canada and currently don't have any job except online poker. I will be travelling to the United-States for 3 weeks during the WSOP and would like to know if I need a VISA.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Going to WSOP from Canada. Need VISA?

just a passport
Old 03-29-2007, 09:17 PM

If you're Canadian - no visa necessary as you can enter on the visa waiver program. If you hold some other country's passport it depends.

If you intend on working here you may want to look into an entertainment visa. This of course is more complicated and you'll likely need to retain an attorney.

Please note that playing in a tourney for recreation isn't technically working by US immigration law.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 PM

You will need your passport if you are flying. If you drive across the border you do not.

Handy tip : drive to nearest airport in USA. Saves lots on flight, and no passport needed.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:02 AM

I checked the Canadian government website regarding how long the passport needs to be valid for in advance, and there's nothing. Is it correct to assume that as long as the passport is valid up to the date of the return flight, you're good to go?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:21 AM

If you are a professional poker player (and you appear to be since you have no other occupation other than online poker), you will need an entertainer visa in order to come to the US to play land-based tournament poker. (Daniel Negreanu, for example, needed one.)

Consult an attorney who specializes in that area.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:27 PM

I would like to clarify that I'm indeed a professionnal poker player and my only income is from online poker. I didnt have any other job since April 2006 and I reported my online poker income and paid tax last year. So maybe this change the fact as if I need a Visa or not...
Old 03-31-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to clarify that I'm indeed a professionnal poker player and my only income is from online poker. I didnt have any other job since April 2006 and I reported my online poker income and paid tax last year. So maybe this change the fact as if I need a Visa or not...

[/ QUOTE ]

I really really don't think anyone will care at all. Negreanu came to the US for a long time. You're going to the wsop. It would be unnecessary.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really really don't think anyone will care at all. Negreanu came to the US for a long time. You're going to the wsop. It would be unnecessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

David Benyamine will tell you otherwise, as he was detained by the FBI, jailed for over a week, and was subsequently deported back to France because he entered the U.S. to play both the 2004 PartyPoker Million II and the 2004 WPT Championship without an entertainment visa (O-1, P-1, or P-3, depending on the player's circumstance).

http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/16326

Given the hostility of certain U.S. government officials toward professional poker players these days, I suggest that players act on the side of caution and consult an attorney who has experience dealing with entertainment visas for professional poker players.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:43 AM

You don't need a visa to enter the US as a Canadian, I have a P1 resident /visa permit but that is so I can stay in the US for up to 5 years without issue. I must have entered and exited the US about 90 times within a 3 year period before I moved to California and never had a problem.

When you cross the border, feel free to tell them that you are going to play in the WSOP, it would not be wise to tell them that you are a pro poker player, say you are a student if you are young enough to pass for one, or make something else up. This will save you a lot of headaches, also make sure you get a return ticket so you can show them that you are returning back to Canada.

Also there is no sense in consulting an attorney to inquire about getting a P1 visa, you have no shot of getting one unless you have made x televised tv tables and are able to get the WPT or some other poker league to sponsor your visa.