Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Senator Alfonse D\'Amato Takes Leadership Position in PPA

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also want to take this moment to personally thank Linda Johnson, the First Lady of Poker, who was the inspiration behind the Poker Players Alliance and served as the PPA's first Chairwoman. Without her guidance the PPA would not be the great organization it is today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason,

If I am understanding correctly (and this is with no "insider" knowledge whatsoever), Linda is the outgoing Chairwoman and former Senator D'Amato is the incoming Chairman. It appears as if Michael Bolcerek was the "President" of the PPA, not the "Chairman." It further would seem to me that Michael is also STILL the President, if I am reading correctly.

In the past, Michael has been the public face of the PPA. I would have to assume (and hope) that this will change with Senator D'Amato's emergence. I was under the impression from a few statements he had made publicly, however, that Michael wasn't interested in staying on as President of the group for a sustained period of time, so I am kind of unsure as to what the true meaning is of these titles.

Les
Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the past, Michael has been the public face of the PPA. I would have to assume (and hope) that this will change with Senator D'Amato's emergence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hope the public face of the PPA would be someone better known and public friendly than Senator D'Amato who can be, frankly, a douche. However, I do think as the former chairman and ranking member of the Senate Banking committee and Wall Street's Senator, he can be very effective lobbying for the interests of poker players in the finance and regulatory communities. In that regard, he is an excellent choice.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also want to take this moment to personally thank Linda Johnson, the First Lady of Poker, who was the inspiration behind the Poker Players Alliance and served as the PPA's first Chairwoman. Without her guidance the PPA would not be the great organization it is today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason,

If I am understanding correctly (and this is with no "insider" knowledge whatsoever), Linda is the outgoing Chairwoman and former Senator D'Amato is the incoming Chairman. It appears as if Michael Bolcerek was the "President" of the PPA, not the "Chairman." It further would seem to me that Michael is also STILL the President, if I am reading correctly.

In the past, Michael has been the public face of the PPA. I would have to assume (and hope) that this will change with Senator D'Amato's emergence. I was under the impression from a few statements he had made publicly, however, that Michael wasn't interested in staying on as President of the group for a sustained period of time, so I am kind of unsure as to what the true meaning is of these titles.

Les

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if this is similar in some fashion to how the NRA is handled. In the NRA, the President is basically the primary public spokesperson for the orginization, while the Executive Vice President is the actual individual that runs the organization. There might be something similar going on here, though the actual titles are different.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Les:

If you're correct, then why wasn't this also stated, and stated clearly. It's my opinion that their board needs to be cleaned up, and again if you're correct, then this is a step in the right direction.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 03-13-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Les:

If you're correct, then why wasn't this also stated, and stated clearly. It's my opinion that their board needs to be cleaned up, and again if you're correct, then this is a step in the right direction.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mason,

Love your site. I do have a question. I guess you're still unhappy with the PPA. What do you recommend we do about fighting back against the UIGEA? Certainly we shouldn't simply complain about the PPA, then sit around and hope our esteemed legistators decide on their own to return our rights to us. Do you endorse any specific plan? For example, we have a weekly action plan (this week's plan) that's picking up steam. If you endorse that, can you post a note there indicating so? Thanks. I think your endorsement would help us to get more people involved.

Several of us are participating; we vote on that week's action plan earlier that week. So far, so good.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:39 AM

Hi Engineer:

I think your action plans are fine.

As for the PPA, as far as I can tell, they are in a process of working certain issues which have been brought to their attention, mostly by posts on this site. I do think they need more time, and then we take it from there.

Best wishes,
Mason