Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Heads Up Tourney Question

I'm participating in a double-elimination HU tourney. All of the brackets will be one game, except for the final bracket, which will be a best two of three. Here's my question.

In the last match, does the player from the winner's brackets just need to win one game to knock out the player from the loser's brackets, and must the player from the loser's bracket with two games in a row to win?

Or do you just forget about the one loss by the player from the loser's brackets and simply play a best 2 of 3, and have a second 2 of 3 if the player from the winner's brackets loses the first best 2 of 3.

I hope I've explained it properly.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Heads Up Tourney Question

I think the person from the loser's bracket has to beat the winner 2 out of 3 times twice. Otherwise the person in the winner's bracket doesn't get their second chance like everyone else did.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the person from the loser's bracket has to beat the winner 2 out of 3 times twice. Otherwise the person in the winner's bracket doesn't get their second chance like everyone else did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My question is does the player from the winner's bracket win the whole thing if by winning the first game of the 2 out of 3, since that would be the second game tlost by the player from the loser's bracket. In other words, does the player from the winner's bracket merely have to win one of the next four games played to win the whole thing?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:33 PM

A double elimanation match does work where the player from the losing side has to beat the player from the winners side twice. IN your example where you are playing best out of three for the last match, that I would
A Consider it that the winner has already won one game of the best out of three so the player from the losing side has two win 2 games straight and the player from the winning side only has to win 1 game.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is does the player from the winner's bracket win the whole thing if by winning the first game of the 2 out of 3, since that would be the second game tlost by the player from the loser's bracket.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
[ QUOTE ]
In other words, does the player from the winner's bracket merely have to win one of the next four games played to win the whole thing?

[/ QUOTE ]
There isn't 4 games to play. What happens when you have the last 2 players, one player has already lost a game, that is the player from the losing side. Hence he only has to lose 1 more game to get elimanated. At the very most, 2 games would be played not 4.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My question is does the player from the winner's bracket win the whole thing if by winning the first game of the 2 out of 3, since that would be the second game tlost by the player from the loser's bracket. In other words, does the player from the winner's bracket merely have to win one of the next four games played to win the whole thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this, especially if the loser's bracket "champ" has to win FOUR games to the winner's bracket ONE game.

You're letting the cards determine WAY too much of the outcome imo, but it's your tourney.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, there is a second-chance bracket for knockouts? If you want to limit it to one match for the way up, why have a second-chance bracket at all?

Example, please?

(This is why my HU tourney is round robin and at least double-elim at all levels)
Old 10-18-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A double elimanation match does work where the player from the losing side has to beat the player from the winners side twice. IN your example where you are playing best out of three for the last match, that I would
A Consider it that the winner has already won one game of the best out of three so the player from the losing side has two win 2 games straight and the player from the winning side only has to win 1 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. This makes sense, but this is not different than if the last match was not 2 of 3. Right? If this was just a single elimination, one game per match format, the loser's bracket would have to win two in a row, and the winner's bracket player would have to win just once. So this solution isn't really a true best 2 of 3 format, is it? To have a true best two of three, you have to have a second two of three match if the winner's bracket lost the first such match.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To have a true best two of three, you have to have a second two of three match if the winner's bracket lost the first such match.

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be correct. If the winners lost the first match, you would have to have a second round. Any way you do it, remember you have one player that has lost a match and another that hasn't any loses.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:57 AM

So in the structure that I've described, the double-elimination must refer not to a single game but to a "match," however many games comprise a match.