Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 06:26 PM

Default 2/5NL Foxwoods yesterday

Posted this also at FR, but wanted some thoughts from this group as well. So I'm only at the table an hour or so, but have a fairly good read of most of the players. Like to know some thoughts on this hand and my line and thinking.

Game is 10 handed. Villian is older Asian guy who is a calling station and doesn't lay anthing down. MP1 is an older guy who is terrible, stacked 3 times in last hour. MP2 is younger kid, seems fairly solid and aggressive.

Hero (SB): $1100
Villian (BB) : $1400
MP1: $400
MP2: $600

Hero has 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
MP1 calls
MP2 calls
Hero calls
BB checks
Pot: $20
Flop is 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $20
BB calls $20
MP1 calls $20
MP2 raises $50 to $70.

[Now my thinking is KJ, QJ, etc, while 2 clubs on board, instead of scaring anyone out, smooth call and go from there. Plus, if BB or MP1 on club draw or straight draw, no matter what I raise to, they will not fold]

Hero calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.
Pot $300
Turn : K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks
BB checks
MP1 checks
MP2 bets $100

[Ok, now I didn't expect 4 calls to reraise by MP2, good size pot, I'm pretty sure I have the best hand here, I just want to end it]

Hero raises $300 to $400
BB calls $400 [He thought for 1-2 minutes before calling, clearly did not like my raise, ie, wasn't acting]
MP1 folds
MP2 folds [He thought for a good 2-3 minutes before not wanting to fold, again, clearly not acting]

River J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets $400

Thoughts on entire hand??
Old 10-07-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Re: 2/5NL Foxwoods yesterday

raise preflop, 3 bet the flop for sure, lead the turn, shove the river
Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 PM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

word, live poker, people don't fold
Old 10-07-2007, 06:39 PM

3 bet the flop, especially if they won't fold draws. Don't let them draw relatively cheaply in a multiway pot, get the money in when they have 25% equity (instead of allowing them to get it in with 77% or fold with 15%).

After you call the flop, lead the turn. With so many draws likely out there, it would really suck if this got checked through. After he bets c/r is obvious, but I would make it more since he only bet 1/3 the pot, your raise is actually pretty small. But I don't think this matters muhc.

I would push the river against someone who is a calling station.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

word, live poker, people don't fold [/quote

agree with everything about this, esp at foxwoods, but i probably don't raise pre that often with this hand OOP vs the field.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:42 PM

Also, in this type of game, I think not raising preflop is correct.

These players are bad enough that you don't need to build the pot in case you hit, as this hand shows, since you can get payed of anyways. And if you don't hit, it costs less.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, in this type of game, I think not raising preflop is correct.

These players are bad enough that you don't need to build the pot in case you hit, as this hand shows, since you can get payed of anyways. And if you don't hit, it costs less.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one preflop adjustment I made to my game as well. I just limp instead of raise good multiway hands like small pairs and connectors. These opponents usually get attached to a hand and stack off light postflop a lot easier even in un-raised pots.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:49 PM

Online, I'd raise pre-flop almost always with this same situation. Problem with raising pre-flop from the SB here with 55 is that either I have to raise enough that no one calls or enough to get 1/2 callers, then playing oop against calling stations that are tough to bluff. At 1/2 and 2/5 live set mining usually works very well to get paid off on.

A lot of 3bet the flop posts, I seriously thought about it, I was 50-50. But I didn't want to scare away MP2, he was fairly aggressive and knew he would keep betting a J. Now I didn't expect the other 2 in the pot as well.

As far as c/r more, I basically put enough in to put the MP2 all-in with a pot size re-raise. I wasn't expecting Asian to call cold after checking again to a fairly large re-raise.