Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 06:39 AM

Default 3/6 WHY ARE YOU RAISING?!?!

Villain is tuckercat from 2p2. Our only meaningful history is him picking off a triple barrel bluff of mine about a week ago. I've been getting beat up a little this session, and I've had to make a couple tough laydowns, and he's aware of this. Villain plays pretty tight preflop, and a little too passive postflop IMO, but he's pretty ABC, and I don't think he's ever checking a set back on the turn with all the draws out there. His river raise is weird, because he's not really repping anything.....but at the same time he knows I probably have an A here I think and I dunno if he's crazy enough to try pushing me off of it. Call or fold?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $3/$6 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $605.40
BB: $714.75
UTG: $552.00
Hero (CO): $591.00
BTN: $651.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $21.00</font>, BTN calls $21.00, 2 folds

Flop: ($51) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $40.00</font>, BTN calls $40.00

Turn: ($131) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($131) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $100.00</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $300.00</font>
Old 08-23-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Re: 3/6 WHY ARE YOU RAISING?!?!

fold
Old 08-23-2007, 07:18 AM

Its really hard to put him on a better hand. If he's smart, he could be valueraising AQ, but prob not. He could have a very tricky AK/AQ/set, but he would have to be overly tricky/leveling.

There are only 3 hands you are behind here.
A3/A6/A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]: Since you provided no stats, you are the only one that can determine if these are in his range, but they are probably not.

This seems like a pretty easy call to me.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Its really hard to put him on a better hand. If he's smart, he could be valueraising AQ, but prob not. He could have a very tricky AK/AQ/set, but he would have to be overly tricky/leveling.

There are only 3 hands you are behind here.
A3/A6/A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]: Since you provided no stats, you are the only one that can determine if these are in his range, but they are probably not.

This seems like a pretty easy call to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was basically my exact thinking as well, but in my experience thinking players don't bluff when they can't rep anything, that was the only thing that bothered me about this spot.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:31 AM

You gotta call here.
From his perspective you could very well just use the ace as an opportunity to bluff.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 AM

Well if he's really smart, he could have a read that no turn cbet from you = no pair/no draw type of hand. In this case he can checkback the turn with a big hand and hope you spike an ace. I can take this line against certian villans that always cbet turn with any draw and any made hand.

Also if he is thinking on this level, he can be value raising AQ too!

But again, he's gotta be on a much higher level than the average player.

I still call.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if he's really smart, he could have a read that no turn cbet from you = no pair/no draw type of hand. In this case he can checkback the turn with a big hand and hope you spike an ace. I can take this line against certian villans that always cbet turn with any draw and any made hand.

Also if he is thinking on this level, he can be value raising AQ too!

But again, he's gotta be on a much higher level than the average player.

I still call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this applies to this particular villain FWIW