Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 04:37 PM

Default Was this wrong?

$109 tournament with rebuys (rebuy period ended 20 minutes ago and the blinds have gone up once since then). I am dealt JJ on the button. I have T3,800. Blinds are 100/200.

UTG raises to T600. Called by the cutoff. Both opponents have slightly more chips than I. Never seen the cutoff before. UTG I saw raise preflop with AA several orbits ago from UTG then call an all in with it (not much to go by).

I think about re-raising but decide to just call, and decide what to do when the flop comes - I will have position after all.

Flop comes 8 4 4 with two diamonds. UTG checks. Cutoff bets T800 into a pot of T2,100. I ponder and figure that UTG is likely to have AK or AQ, missed the flop, and is checking it to two opponents who called preflop. I am more worried about the cutoff - who could have a four, possibly a set of eights. He could also have an eight or 99 or TT and be probing on the flop, or it could be a cheap steal attempt. I consider just calling again and decide it would be too weak - I could get beaten by overcards, a flush coming or even a straight coming if I indeed do have the best hand at this point.

I go all-in. UTG calls. The cutoff folds. The UTG has AA.

Guys, did I make a mistake here or was it a bit of a set-up, the cards, the board and everything else?
Old 09-22-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Was this wrong?

looks fairly standard, probably just delayed the inevitable by smooth calling preflop, tough break
Old 09-22-2006, 04:52 PM

Standard. You have JJ and less than 20 BB's and the flop was 3 under and paired. Time to go broke.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:19 PM

Standard