Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Female Singer/Songwriter Thread

Dom good call I was just thinking about how good Aimee Mann would be in this thread. Her and Michael Penn's version of "Two of Us" was played during our wedding ceremony. It was a great Beatles song but I almost prefer it as a coed duet. Two of Us

I wore out my cd of the magnolia soundtrack when it first came out and have had to replace it. I have Lost in Space and have heard a little of the forgotten arm. Good Stuff
Old 11-08-2007, 12:16 PM

Another great female artist that I have liked throughout her career is Natalie Merchant.

She started her career with the popular alt rock band 10000 Maniacs and had a handful of great hits.

Candy Give Them What They Want

These are the days

And of course their phenomenal cover of the Bruce Springsteen/Patti Smith cover of Because the Night

Because the Night

She left the band in '93 and then went on and is having a very successful solo career.

Her first solo disc Tigerlilly was a strong album with some commercial success, even though it is solid throughout.

Carnival

Wonder

Her next album produced her biggest hit of late:

Kind and Generous

She is a smart and witty songwriter who has an abundance of creativity. Her voice is superb and is effective when hitting powerful high notes and just as good when reduced to an almost subtle whisper. Again, like many others in this thread there isn't much of her music out there they I don't enjoy.

As a bonus her take on cover songs are awesome here is one of the more popular covers she has done:

Space Oddity

Enjoy!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:36 PM

Cat Power

Cat Power is the stage name for Chan Marshall, an American signer/songwriter from Georgia. She sings a bluesy, torchy kind of music that is hard to categorize. It's often minimalist with only guitar and piano.

Cat Power is also notorious for being a wack-job on stage, as she used to get severe stage fright, drink heavily to combat that fright, and then sometimes completely lose it while performing.

Recently, with the release of her album The Greatest, her stage presence has gotten more assured and she actually seems like she enjoys performing now!

Some songs:

The Greatest

Lived in Bars

Maybe Not

Where is My Love

Old 11-08-2007, 01:53 PM

Default I\'m on a roll!

Esthero

Gotta love a chick who does shots as she performs!

Esthero is a Canadian whose music combines Latin, dance, hip-hop and Blues for a truly original sound. Think Bjork with a romantic edge or perhaps a poppier Portishead!

I really don't know much about her except her music - and that I really like. So here's some songs:

That Girl

Wicked Lilttle Girls

Heaven Sent

If the Mood (odd anime for some reason but great song!)

I Drive Alone (over some movie montage)

Old 11-08-2007, 02:40 PM

I really like Brandi Carlile's voice, she's kinda country but with a raspy rock edge.

Here's a Youtube link to her song The Story. I think it's good.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really like Brandi Carlile's voice, she's kinda country but with a raspy rock edge.

Here's a Youtube link to her song The Story. I think it's good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this! Thanks for turning me on to someone new.

edited to add another song - this girl is terrific:

Fall Apart Again
Old 11-08-2007, 04:30 PM

To those who are complaining about our tastes, or not listening to a classic, or not mentioning a gal you just love, please post who you like and why. If you are going to wait for us to do it, you may have to wait a while. I am posting two a day, and at this pace, I could go on for another year.

Just a thought. Complaining never earned a reward as far as I know.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To those who are complaining about our tastes, or not listening to a classic, or not mentioning a gal you just love, please post who you like and why. If you are going to wait for us to do it, you may have to wait a while. I am posting two a day, and at this pace, I could go on for another year.

Just a thought. Complaining never earned a reward as far as I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

by the way, I've got dibs on PJ Harvey
Old 11-08-2007, 04:42 PM

The Sounds

A band from Iceland fronted by Maja Ivarsson. Just plain good spunky and punky rock and roll. I first saw this band live while they were promoting their upcoming CD. I was so impressed that I still remembered this band one year later when it came up on my music service.

"Dying to Say This To You" is the name of their current album and it is perfect in every way. It is easily the best album to come out in 2006. I could listen to this album over and over and never tire of it. One of the best bands to come out in the past ten years.

wiki

myspace : with music

more music

Old 11-08-2007, 04:45 PM

Except for Tori Amos, I am attempting to stick with under-exposed bands. I fully expect to see something on Poe, Jewel, Dido, etc, before I take them on. Dom, PJ Harvey is safe from my clutches. I trust you will be a good guide for her, as I am pretty much unfamiliar.