Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Introduction, Pyschological issues, Getting in shape w/o leaving house

Hi, I'm new to the Health and Fitness forum, and new to basically anythign related to this field whatsoever and I am totally clueless basically on everything.

I plan to read through the FAQ and also start checking out some other websites related to health and fitness. However, I was hoping maybe you guys could help me out with something first...

I know what I am about to type is a pyschological issue moreso than a Health and Fitness issue, yet, I promise I will get the health and fitness stuff in a second... Baically, Im out of shape and my body image is kind of gross, I'm 5'9 180 LBS and 20 yrs old. I want to change and start making improvments in my life and I think starting w/ my health is a great spot to start.

My problem is this... I'm too self conscious to go join a gym or a health center. I don't know what it is, I'm just honestly downright pretrified of going because of the way I look and feel and also my total lack of gym / health / fitness knowledge. However, I feel as if once I get into a little bit of better shape and I havea bit more confidence I will have no issues or problems going to the gym. Is this common? I know everyone is goign to say just suck it up and go, don't worry what other people think, etc. However, this is ongoign problem w/ my life and I have an irrational fear of what people think of me, and it puts me into situations liek this where I am downright afraid to go to the gym. Yes, I amn talking to a profressional about my issues and getting help.

Anyways, now that I have gotten my pyschological babble out of the way and everyone thinks I am a total wackjob. I guess I can get down the nitty gritty...

I want to make a possitive change in my life w/ regards to my health and fitness, however, for the reasons outlined above, I have to start small and I would like to do so from the privacy and comfort of my own home...

I was thinking about getting either an eliptical or a exercise bike or some type of home excersie tool that will allow me to do some cardio and start getting back into shape.

My main concerns are size and noise. I don't have a lot of space, so the more compact the better (or maybe something that is easy to store and bring out when I want to use?) Also, I need something quiet that isn't too noisy when Im using it.

So can you guys reccomend me something to pick up, preferably something that I could get at like a walmarts or a meijers from thier sporting goods department.

Moving on, I also want to start eating better and maybe include a multi-vitamin into my daily intake. Can anyone reccomend a good daily vitamin to take for me?

So if I start eating better and start excerising rigoursly on either an excersise bike or a an eliptical machine, is there a good chance I could start to see some results in a few months? My main two goals are; to look better (start to lose some weight and some of my roundness) and to just feel healthier (I sometimes get very tired mid day for no reason, and just generally feel crappy/gross all the time). I think that if I can start to see some results from doing this, then I would gain some much needed confidence and that in turn could only lead to great things for my health/fitness future.

I'm honestly very dedicated and ready to tackle this project and put in the work nessecary. So for someone who has the motivation, can I get in shape w/o leaving my house and w/ using just an excerise bike and eating better?

Im sorry if this post came across and jumbled and out of order or difficult to read, I tired to convery my thoughts the best I could, and thanks in advance for any help / insight. I look forward to particiapting and becoming a member of this forum.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Introduction, Pyschological issues, Getting in shape w/o leaving house

A) I've started going to the gym at like 6'1" 300lb so I know kinda how you feel being self-conscious and all. Thing is, nobody freaking cares. If anything people will try to encourage you, which is a bit patronizing, but who cares. I've been on jogs outside and so obviusly misserable that random people i've never met gave me encouragement to keep going. wierd.

B) you don't seem so big, howabout you buy a jump rope.

C) anything you do is better than nothing.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Introduction, Pyschological issues, Getting in shape w/o leaving house

The way to get over body image issues is to go out and do something. Instead of worrying about what people are going to think when they see you get out there and let them see you. You'll be surprised at how little people care. And if they do give you [censored] sit on them...

As far as starting out not at a gym there are lots of options from finding some hills in your neighborhood to walk up to getting DDR for your Playstation.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Get a barbell instead of an elliptical. Read the FAQ and start doing some basic exercises. You can get a complete body workout with just a barbell.

You can run or swim or take an actual bike ride for cardio.

I think you will get the feedback you are looking for much quicker if you include weightlifting. It takes a long time to get body changing results, but atleast with weight training you can see strength changes much sooner.

If you want to lose fat, then diet is going to be the most important part. The more strict you are the faster you will see results. Start counting all your calories so you can figure out what your body needs and go from there.

If you are dedicated with your diet and you do it properly then you will definatly see big results in a few months.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Introduction, Pyschological issues, Getting in shape w/o leaving h

As long as you don't wear spandex nobody cares.

Get out of the house, it's good motivation to be around people, it makes you work out harder.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:55 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies so far...

But, as I said in my OP, I have my reasons for not wanting to leave the house, I have professional help w/ my problems and its a slow process, that likely will have to involve medication... So can we stray away from the "Just go...." responses, and focus more on answering the questions and comments in my OP. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:05 PM

pushups, situps, walk/run.

if you really can't leave the house then jump rope instead of walk/run I guess.

you can tell a decent multivitamin if its got iodine in it, i've noticed the cheap ones don't.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:36 PM

I work out at home a lot. IMHO the ideal weights are something like a 10 lbs dumbell pair and a 30 or 35 lbs pair. With the 10's you can do a lot of little things like weighted crunches, weighted leg lifts, lateral shoulder raises, etc. The 30's are enough to do curls, triceps, flies, etc. and once you get stronger you can make it more difficult with variations of form and going slow. You don't need to ever do anything where you drop the weights and make a lot of noise or hurt the floor. Oh you can also hold the dumbells and squat or deadlift with them.

Also pushups, pullups on door frames are great, obviously you can do any kind of ab work on the floor.

"Marine drills" are a great overall cardio/fitness workout. You try to keep moving as long as possible, and switch between things, so you go running in place, then drop and do 10 pushups, then hop up and run in place, then jumping jacks, then drop and do some crunches, flip over and do pushups, etc. repeat in constant hard motion for 2 minutes or however long you can go.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:39 PM

twinlab dualtabs are a great multi vitamin
Old 09-08-2007, 05:51 PM

I seriously cannot think of anything worth doing with 10lb dumbells or 35lb dumbells. Tricep extensions? Bicep curls? chest flies? Ugh, bodyweight training would be WAY better.