Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: ON THE LOT **official thread**

[ QUOTE ]
Michael Bay reminds me of

Laughing Out Loud - The only non-comedy of the night which made it stand out. Was the only film that had a "visual appeal" to it through the use of different lighting. I really enjoyed it although my hubby didn't "get it" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Broken Pipe Dreams - I liked this one. I think he could have done a better job indicating the beginning of the flashback as it took me a second to realize what was happening there...plus I would have made the lead a lot younger in the flashback, as that guy seemed a bit old to be freaking out over having the fish flushed.
I thought the fish coming out after the ring was awesome, but to tie it in better with the mishaps earlier, I think it would have been fitting for the the fish to perhaps slide out of his hand and into the dog's mouth. (ok..maybe that would have made it end on a downer [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
I do feel that it could have been tightened up a hair by deleting some of the repitition.

Dough - Cute concept and I like the lyrics. Thought there was no chemistry between the characters.

Blind Date - Had promise and some funny moments. At first I was put off by trying to figure out if the first few imagined dates were all the same person, just made up differently.

Finkelsteins - The laughs came from the shock value of what was coming out of the father's mouth. The one thing that I am still puzzled about was the lead's insistence that his fiancee not be alone with his mother...yet we still don't know why. What could she have said that was worse than what was happening already?
The film had a promising premise, but disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were al pretty bad considering this is like the top 10 of thousands of people throughout the world.

The gay comic one gets credit because it was stylish and about something although it has been done a million times and wasn't very original. The dialogue in it was pretty godawful.

The musical gets credit because the guy actually attempted to do a musical and the writing was "cute". It lacked visuals like MB said and you figure he would have done some special effects.

Blind Date- horrible
Wedding ring- pretty lame though it showed some skill..but overall it was contrived and dumb
Dinner with parents--awful awful awful.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Michael Bay reminds me of

Laughing Out Loud - The only non-comedy of the night which made it stand out. Was the only film that had a "visual appeal" to it through the use of different lighting. I really enjoyed it although my hubby didn't "get it" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Broken Pipe Dreams - I liked this one. I think he could have done a better job indicating the beginning of the flashback as it took me a second to realize what was happening there...plus I would have made the lead a lot younger in the flashback, as that guy seemed a bit old to be freaking out over having the fish flushed.
I thought the fish coming out after the ring was awesome, but to tie it in better with the mishaps earlier, I think it would have been fitting for the the fish to perhaps slide out of his hand and into the dog's mouth. (ok..maybe that would have made it end on a downer [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
I do feel that it could have been tightened up a hair by deleting some of the repitition.

Dough - Cute concept and I like the lyrics. Thought there was no chemistry between the characters.

Blind Date - Had promise and some funny moments. At first I was put off by trying to figure out if the first few imagined dates were all the same person, just made up differently.

Finkelsteins - The laughs came from the shock value of what was coming out of the father's mouth. The one thing that I am still puzzled about was the lead's insistence that his fiancee not be alone with his mother...yet we still don't know why. What could she have said that was worse than what was happening already?
The film had a promising premise, but disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were al pretty bad considering this is like the top 10 of thousands of people throughout the world.

The gay comic one gets credit because it was stylish and about something although it has been done a million times and wasn't very original. The dialogue in it was pretty godawful.

The musical gets credit because the guy actually attempted to do a musical and the writing was "cute". It lacked visuals like MB said and you figure he would have done some special effects.

Blind Date- horrible
Wedding ring- pretty lame though it showed some skill..but overall it was contrived and dumb
Dinner with parents--awful awful awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

these were no notice, do it yourself, 5 day productions.

i agree that 3 of them were awful, but i wonder what spielberg could have done at that age, in 5 days, with zero budget?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:38 PM

they werent no notice..all the contestants knew they were entering a short film competition months ahead of time.

You figure anyone with a brain would have been prepared for all these scenarios

and 5 days is an eternity.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you've never been on a film set.

Another thing I liked about Sam's film was spoofing the film cliche of cutting the blue/red wire by using the blue/red threads.

It really sucks that we have to wait a week now for results.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:55 PM

Yea...the waiting a week sucks...but is still preferable to the eternal hell that was their godawful results show.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they werent no notice..all the contestants knew they were entering a short film competition months ahead of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you make that assumption?? every other task has been handed out AFTER the last task, and the filmmakers have not known it what was coming.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you a nut?? it would be near impossible to make a 'masterpiece' worthy to be debuted before of 10 million viewers. i think these shorts were crappy because they had to fit everything in 5 days, editing included. i expect that there are few directors that could pull this off, and that this task was intended exactly to seperate the wheat from the chaff.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you make that assumption?? every other task has been handed out AFTER the last task, and the filmmakers have not known it what was coming.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are you a nut?? it would be near impossible to make a 'masterpiece' worthy to be debuted before of 10 million viewers. i think these shorts were crappy because they had to fit everything in 5 days, editing included. i expect that there are few directors that could pull this off, and that this task was intended exactly to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh no I'm not nuts

This is a short film competition--they had a general idea of what was in store for them early on when they entered to be one of the contestants--the form detailed that they would be making several films in different genres over the contest.

You would figure that even a somewhat bright film school student would realize...hmm maybe i should think up and write out 10-15 short films..maybe even go so far as to work on shot selection/storyboard etc and then once they got to the competition and they were like.."guess what...your making a comedy this week blah blah blah" they would have something ready to go and then could just deal with set design, casting,location, etc.

5 days is plenty for a 3 minute short if u are somewhat prepared..none of these contestants are which is really shocking.

Many major short workshops for people, some who WHO HAVE NEVER written or shot anything take place over a weekend...3 days...and I've seen plenty of shorts that came out amazing. Most sucked but there were some gems in there.

It is not like these contestants submitted there stuff then in the middle of the night Mark Burnett grabbed them from their beds and dragged them onto the FOX lot telling them to do this and that. They were notified they won and that they would begin the contest on specific date..sign release forms...blah blah blah

plenty of time to prepare.
The very first scene with the pitch fest was pretty eye-opening. Contestants seemed shocked that they would have to come up with an idea overnight and pitch it.
You have to do that in any basic Screenwriting 101 class, and it is usually 3-5 ideas not 1, let alone on a show your pre selected for and may win a studio deal lol.

And yes i've been on a movie set before.
El Mariachi was shot for $7000 in 14 days...thats a feature length film...for 3 minutes and at least a month of prep... 5 days is a lifetime
Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 AM

*some* points taken.

how do you have such experience? can you generically share?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:05 AM

el mariachi might have been shot in 14 days, but how long did it take to write it, cast it, scout locations, rehearse, shoot, edit, and other post-production etc.? I'm guessing it was many months from start to finish.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
el mariachi might have been shot in 14 days, but how long did it take to write it, cast it, scout locations, rehearse, shoot, edit, and other post-production etc.? I'm guessing it was many months from start to finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Went to film school, have shot my own sutff, went to one of the 3 day bootcamps, have worked as a PA on other film students projects/studio projects, worked for a indep film producer and currently work for a producer with deal at a studio.

I'd recommend his book "Rebel without a Crew"...but the gist of my idea is with some planning anyone can shoot a 3 minute short in 1-2 day let alone 5 days. Someone with talent should be able to shoot a very good one in 5 days.

The problem is none of these(besides the special effects guy...cuz it seems odd he would choose to shoot a musical out of the blue) people seem to have put any thought into planning ahead of time...which is kind of a huge part about being a director.

Thats why much of their stuff doesn't look good and is kind of generic and lame.