Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2006, 12:52 PM

Default Re: bathroom chess

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it's a bad time to be a chess fan.

I (potentially) know my first sex offender.

The head of Lowell High School’s math department was ordered held on $1 million bail yesterday after he was charged with multiple counts of sexual assault and incest.

...A prominent chess player, (Severine) Wamala runs the high school’s chess club and organizes regional chess tournaments. His daughter and two sons all are nationally ranked chess players, according to several Web sites.

I played in Severine's first few tournaments. At the time I was running the tournaments at Boston's Boyslton Chess Club. We talked a fair amount about how to make his tournaments work financially since the first one lost money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty - My high-school chess 'coach' in Ohio was also nabbed for sex offenses.
He wasn't really much of a coach, more like the math-teacher who supervised the chess-club for us and drove us to our matches.

2 or 3 yrs after I graduated he was caught after-hours with a couple of 14-year-old girls.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Re: bathroom chess

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In backgammon each player usually have 2-4 five min. breaks depending on the match length. I'm a bit surprised, that a similar rule doesn't exist in chess.

[/ QUOTE ]

If hes in the restroom while its his move, his clock will run and he could use valuable time.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's thinking about his options while he's away from the table. He's not wasting his time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my dad was an official at an international tournament in Stockholm I think it was and he told me Shirov usually just sat there staring into the air, didn't even look like he was paying attention to his game.

These people do not need to see the board to think of moves.