Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Re: bathroom chess

i thought it was going to be about the public restroom strategy in regards to which urinal or stall to you (buffer theory).
Old 09-29-2006, 12:40 PM

Haha, I spent too much time writing and you beat me to this.

I think this [censored] is hilarious. To what extent do you think Kramnik's complaints that the appeals board are biased towards Topalov and are doing this just to mess with Kramnik have any weight?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do computer programs (other than those on supercomputers) beat top chess players these days?

[/ QUOTE ]

not really, but they are definately up there. the best supercomputers have an estimated rating of over 3100 though, where the best players have around 2800.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:47 PM

This is completely standard for a world champ match...c'mon curtains, while it's funny it's (IMO) nowhere near as weird as half a dozen previous world champ match stories.

Yugoslav
Old 09-29-2006, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do computer programs (other than those on supercomputers) beat top chess players these days?

[/ QUOTE ]

not really, but they are definately up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really true, to my knowledge. I don't think there's been a serious computer-human match any time recently where the computer hasn't at least drawn the human. In many cases the computer has been annihilating the human (I'm thinking of the Adams match here in particular), and while they are playing on somewhat powerful computers, they certainly aren't what I'd call supercomputers.

Yugo: don't worry, Topalov has crazy parapsychologists in his employ, too. If the match continues I'm sure we'll hear complaints about hypnosis and the like at some point.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this thread would be about an exciting new business opportunity in which you were planning on installing networked chess gaming systems in bathrooms. People could decide on their moves and finish games naturally over the course of a couple weeks against opponents from around the world.

I was a little bit off in my guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty damn good idea IMO

Office building toilets would be ideal. Middle to upper class people using the same set of toilets for years on end
Old 09-29-2006, 12:53 PM

Could someone explain to me why anyone would go to the bathroom 50 times during a chess game, other than for cheating purposes?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is completely standard for a world champ match...c'mon curtains, while it's funny it's (IMO) nowhere near as weird as half a dozen previous world champ match stories.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

links?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could someone explain to me why anyone would go to the bathroom 50 times during a chess game, other than for cheating purposes?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 50 times is apparently an exaggeration. Kramnik is also apparently drinking tons of water during the game. He's had some weird health issues in the last couple of years, so it's possible that he has legitimate health reasons for all of this.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was going to be about friends leaving a chess board in the bathroom, making a move every time they use the toilet.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought it was going to be about Op's strategy for getting into the bathroom in the morning ahead of his housemates.