Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 AM

Default How many tables is too many/not enough?

Ive been playing online on and off for the past few years. Mostly small stakes(.05/.10 and .10/.25). About a year ago I put $50 bucks in my account and within 4 months I had built my roll to $800.I was playing 1-2 hours a day, 1 table and at those small stakes. At this time I was between jobs and had to take out my money to pay some bills.Im about to deposit some money to my account and was hoping to make some real money$$$.Ive heard that some people play 6-8 tables at a time. Is playing more than 1 table mandatory to becoming a succesful online player? If so, how many is too much? Also, my goal is to make around $500 to $800 a month Does this even sound doable at these smaller stakes? Any insight would be great. thanks
Old 10-17-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Re: How many tables is too many/not enough?

The amount of tables you can play depends on each individual and your poker ability. Personally I feel any more than 4 tables and my play begins to be affected. Some people can only play 2, and some can do 12+.

Best plan is to add a second table and see how you get on. Gradually add an additional table when you are comfortable doing so. Don't rush it.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:45 AM

I say 2 tables are better than one. It can get very boring playing 1 table for me, especially when card dead. Try 2, if you can't follow the action go back to 1. If you can follow the action and your still in your comfort zone maybe add a 3rd and so on.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:36 AM

At the stakes you mentioned, it is NOT reasonable to make $500 to $800 per month single or double-tabling for only a couple hours a day. You might get $200 to $300 if you play two hours everyday of the month strictly at $25nl with at least two tables, but that is if you are doing pretty damn good.

Basically, if you are not going to multi-table harder, you would have to play more hours, plain and simple. That said, it really isn't very hard to move up to three or four tables once you really get a hold of your game. I can play roughly 12 tables without losing too much edge and I can play 7-8 while watching TV or movies and stuff. If I play 3-4 I can still tutor and/or do homework myself. Initially I was incapable of playing any more than two tables without becoming a bit frazzled. Just take time and move up to heavy multi-monitoring slowly is all I am saying I guess...
Old 10-17-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The amount of tables you can play depends on each individual and your poker ability. Personally I feel any more than 4 tables and my play begins to be affected. Some people can only play 2, and some can do 12+.

Best plan is to add a second table and see how you get on. Gradually add an additional table when you are comfortable doing so. Don't rush it.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 10-17-2007, 03:07 PM

The most tables I have ever been able to play at one time profitably is two. Now that I have built a pretty nice poker tracker database and have reads on most of the regulars I have been able to add a third table. Multi tabling has been something I tried for a while (4+), but I just felt I was leaving too much money behind by not extracting the most possible in certain situations due to not evaluating the hands properly.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most tables I have ever been able to play at one time profitably is two. Now that I have built a pretty nice poker tracker database and have reads on most of the regulars I have been able to add a third table. Multi tabling has been something I tried for a while (4+), but I just felt I was leaving too much money behind by not extracting the most possible in certain situations due to not evaluating the hands properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reality of multi-tabling is that you aren't going to play your absolute best game on every table. The trick is maximize money earned per hour - the combination of BB/100 and hands/hour is what to look at, not just BB/100.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:42 PM

I'd say try 2-3.
A realistic win rate at $25 would be 5PTBB/100 - 200 hands/hr (6 max) would be 2x5x0.5 =$5/hr + a little in bonus/RB. Once you hit $50 making $600/month part-time is much more realstic

I can play up to 9 nowadays if I am sticking to a fairly systematic style, 4-6 if I'm playing normally and 2-3 if I'm really really concentrating..
Old 10-17-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reality of multi-tabling is that you aren't going to play your absolute best game on every table. The trick is maximize money earned per hour - the combination of BB/100 and hands/hour is what to look at, not just BB/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for being a total noob, I didn't get my point across the way I wanted to. Obv I wasn't playing a perfect game, but when playing 4+ tables I wasn't maximizing my money per hour. I was hardly making anything at all due to costly mistakes, so to answer the question I didn't succeed at multi tabling 4+. I have just began to show more profit with 3 tables after like 5 months of 2 tabling.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll see what I can do.