Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2006, 07:16 PM

Default 5/10 deep aa against ugly board/turn donk

This is from memory, but I'm pretty sure it's right. Reads:
I have a weak/tight image right now, due to getting crappy cards and folding after getting checkraised in a pretty big pot that I had bloated preflop last round, which was the only time I'd raised preflop that session so far (Note that I've only been there for ~30 minutes) Villain seems to be a tricky lag/tag and has my 2k covered.

Onto the hand...one limper UTG +1 and Villain raises to 45 from MP. I reraise to 150 from CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Limper/blinds fold, Villain calls.

Flop comes down 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I bet 200. Villain calls quickly.

Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I plan on checking behind and calling any river that's not a spade, but villain leads out for 500.
Easy fold? Call and reevaluate river? Raise?

From what I've seen, villain's range is huge here...he could have an overpair with a spade in it, made straight/flush, twopair, or something like JJ trying to get me off my hand.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:59 PM

Default Re: 5/10 deep aa against ugly board/turn donk

Push.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:38 AM

fold, if you call will you call a pot bet on the river? with no A spades this is a clear fold IMO
Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM

This really seems to me like a very good spot to try to push you of your overpair with JJ/TT, he's probably having a spade but he really doesn't have to. He's of course not having a set/two pair/made straight here, not c/c-ing with that. He could be having a flush here as well, even though I'd likely play a flushdraw different on the flop, e.g more like a made hand. Playing AA in this condition just isn't very much ev+, if at all, and as the hand developed I would just instafold turn, since you have no clue as what to do on the river, and, played like this, I would be surprised if any good player checked the river, no matter what hits, except perhaps a fourth spade since he would be figuring you for AA/KK with a spade.

All in all, a very good bluffing spot for him, but there's really not much you can do about it.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:25 PM

By the way, if you're playing against a tricky player like this and believes he perceives you as weak-tight, be very careful about only reraising with a small range of hands (e.g AA/KK for a weak tight) with 200bb stacks, even when he's out of position he'll probably play a large percent of hands to your reraise even out of position just because he's giving you credit for exactly these two hands, and since he belives he can expect to bluff or stack you enough to make most cards +ev in this situation (yes, even out of position) he's probably correct in doing so if you're only reraising kings and aces, and perhaps some occasional suited AK or QQ. So, you should really be reraising here with a wider range of hands yourself to negate this play.