Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Bad play?

Ok so, in a home game... still early and stacks relativley even i have AA in the small blind. Blinds are 100/200 and i raise to 650 preflop and get two callers. Flop comes AJ6. It was a completely dead board and i figured i was getting no value if i bet so i checked and as did my opponents. Turn is a 3 and its checked through again. River is a 2... First position bets out 600 i raise to 1300 and player in position reraises allin which covers me. Original bettor folds and the decision is up to me. I call and he shows 45o making the nut straight. Did i play this hand terribly? i was hopign someone would make bottom pair or two pair so i could get value from top set. Note that there was no flush draw either. Anyone play this hand the same as i did?....
Old 08-02-2007, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Bad play?

Need to know effective stack sizes for everyone involved.

Definitely bet the turn.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Need to know effective stack sizes for everyone involved.

Definitely bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Effective stack sizes around 6k
Old 08-03-2007, 02:59 AM

sorry but yes you did play this badly. instead of checking and trying to trap, try doing what they don't expect and bet the flop. think about it this way if someone else bet pre flop and you had something like j 10 and the board came AJ6 and they bet into you, you would call right? maybe try to catch a card or take the pot away later in the had depending on the player and stack sizes right? well make them pay for it. on top of that you have to put into consideration that checking the flop when the ace hits looks suspect and almost gives you away. you did'nt say much on the players or what the rang of cards they are willing to call with. you should put down the potions down also so i can see how this situation played out. its hard to say what was done right and wrong without this information but one thins is certain, if you are going to play ABC poker with weak players then you have to bet to get information and you should not be giving free cards when you have the best hand and there are draws on the board that can beat you. i did like the beat pre flop though, 3.5x BB is a good beat in the steal P. overall i need more information to help you farther.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 AM

well they were pretty weak players... One player called with 23 and one with 45. I honestly did see a way how the board could come to my hand (after the flop) besides the insane runner runner straight which is less then 1% to happen. Turns out river gave 23 two pair which is excatly what i wanted. Futhermore if i did bet the flop i would have lost any action. Betting the turn i might have got a caller with teh straight draw as he clearly was a gambler. Thanks for your advice though.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 AM

no you miss understand, if you bet the pot "even a prob bet" you gain information to see what they could haave. dont take my advice but you would have won the pot. rather win a lil one then lose a big one.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:43 AM

i agree 100% that if i bet the flop or turn ill almost deifntly take it down and win a small pot rather then lose a big one. But the the board was so dead and i couldnt put my opponent on 45 which was the only hand that beat me which he called out of position to a big raise. I know its easy to say i played this badly because i did lose to the one hand that could beat me who runner runnered me. But honestly i feel like i played it fine because the odds of me losing in that pot are so small but the odds of me gaining alot of extra value outweigh it. IE i tihnk the check on the flop and turn was the most +ev for this situation.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But honestly i feel like i played it fine because the odds of me losing in that pot are so small but the odds of me gaining alot of extra value outweigh it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did that thing where you ask whether you played it right, but what you really want is a sympathetic ear consoling your 'beat' and you are not looking for advice at all. You had no intention of listening to anything other than 'sorry for that bad beat man!'

Please don't do that thing.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But honestly i feel like i played it fine because the odds of me losing in that pot are so small but the odds of me gaining alot of extra value outweigh it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did that thing where you ask whether you played it right, but what you really want is a sympathetic ear consoling your 'beat' and you are not looking for advice at all. You had no intention of listening to anything other than 'sorry for that bad beat man!'

Please don't do that thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you
Old 08-03-2007, 04:31 AM

AJ6 isn't that 'dead' of a board. A K, Q or T could easily give someone a straight. If you plan to slowplay, at least bet the turn...