Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: I\'ve lost the desire to play poker

Right now might turn out to be the perfect time for people to take an extended (/permanent?) break from online poker a la AZK. np
Old 03-06-2007, 10:24 AM

You all think a 9-5 office job isn't a grind? I hate it, I've got no choice, alot of others have no choice. Heck, we can't even be taking 2 weeks off let alone 6 weeks off and go backpackping. I'll be very grateful if I can play poker for a living.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now might turn out to be the perfect time for people to take an extended (/permanent?) break from online poker a la AZK. np

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much all I'm doing these days is posting on the forums.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You all think a 9-5 office job isn't a grind? I hate it, I've got no choice, alot of others have no choice. Heck, we can't even be taking 2 weeks off let alone 6 weeks off and go backpackping. Be grateful those of you who can play poker for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]
Get a more flexible job. I'm taking three months off from mine.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand some of the things said in this post unless people are referring to live poker. If you're 8tabling for 30-50k hands a month and spending 30 minutes a day on 2p2, you're spending 3 hours a day on poker, at most. With this there's plenty of time to do all of the other fun things in life. If anything, poker frees up time for me by not having to worry about a job. But hey, the more of you good players that drop the game, the higher the percentage of fish in the pond. So yeah, quit.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much my feelings exactly. Sounds like a lot of the people getting burnt out never had any balance in their lives when they were playing poker. Some of you make it sound like playing poker for a living forces you into being a social recluse and stops you enjoying the rest of life. Just read some blogs like cts/GP and you'll see this isn't true at all.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:30 AM

It's pretty depressing to hear that really good poker players are not passionate about the game

I can understand tizerd, because he did find it extremely fun and it became a bit tedious for him recently, but if someone says that the game itself is boring/they hate it - that's sad. Especially when you're successful at it.

I love poker. I love reading hand histories, learning new stuff about it, watching HSP and railing high stakes games for entertainment, the thrill of competition, the feeling of dominating a table. Never did I question my enthusiasm. It's surprising to me when an excellent player says that he doesn't enjoy this process along the way of getting rich and he needs to be forcing himself to do it.

However, you know, everyone feels a bit tired about stuff from time to time, it's pretty much inevitable (because that goes for everything). But since it was that much fun to you, I'm sure if you take a break you'll feel a CRAZY URGE to play after a while. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
azk i dont get ur post. ur a good hsnl player. u could probably play 2 hrs a week and make more than the average american. poker doesnt need to be all consuming

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

i think what he alluded to is that he can't do that. that's just not his style. he either wants to play fulltime and kill the games and 'be the best he can be'(sry for that cliche) or not play at all. and playing 2 hours a week is def not being the best he can be, but ya i agree any great player can probably make decent coin playing much less than they are now.

i also feel the way most others do and in part is why i have gotten into tournaments recently. it's not so much of a grind(imo) and is fun to change it up a little.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:54 AM

This is depressing me. I just dropped out of university. I still love playing and I'm gonna do it without the distraction of school. Good timing eh?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
azk i dont get ur post. ur a good hsnl player. u could probably play 2 hrs a week and make more than the average american. poker doesnt need to be all consuming

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

i think what he alluded to is that he can't do that. that's just not his style. he either wants to play fulltime and kill the games and 'be the best he can be'(sry for that cliche) or not play at all. and playing 2 hours a week is def not being the best he can be, but ya i agree any great player can probably make decent coin playing much less than they are now.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is when I play I don't have an on/off switch. If I tell myself I am going to play from 1-3PM and then study the rest of the night, before I know it, it's 9PM and then I think to myself, [censored] it, you already blew through this day. 2 hours is really really hard to stomach. Maybe all out benders on the weekend, but I'd rather drink with friends or do something outside than play. It's just not for me right now. By summer when I am busto and sitting around all day I'll probably find someone to lend me some online money ([img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flawless) and I'll go on a sick heater like I did last summer.

9cao - I would definitely say that your post is correct re: running good vs. bad generally speaking. However, I quit when I was literally running sicker than god. I didn't care, the money stopped mattering, I was unhappy with the way my life was playing out.

Apathy - I still log on to delete posts when I get emails from the board [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 PM

I feel the same way as Tizerd and AZK - or I'd like to believe I do. I haven't played a hand of online poker in a month and a half, but I still read the board constantly - part of this is a lack of anything else in my life right now. I drove cross-country and really stopped thinking about poker - I wouldn't get the wake up and consider a hand I played last night phenomenon - I'm still willing to discuss hands, but the game just isn't that interesting to me anymore. Of course, I played at Bellagio and made my expenses back.

Now, how to get out of this spot. I've already graduated college and like AZK, developed some (but not many) expensive tastes. I'm still thinking about playing part-time, but there's no way I could play another year as a pro online.

And to those of you who said the government sucked the fun out - they're absolutely right. With all the worrying about getting money out of sites, taxes, and everything else - it's just not worth it to be a mid-stakes grinding pro online anymore.

Who I really envy is Ricardo Rivero. j/k

The fundamental irony of poker is that the best player seeks to make the game uninteresting to himself - he wishes to be as passionless as possible about it. There are some guys who can do that for years, and others who can't - and that separates the born pros from the rest of us.