Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 08:54 PM

Default NLH rule that limits number of raises?

I was playing 1-2 NLH at the IP in Biloxi this weekend when the following situation came up. Let me know what you think.

I am on the button. First player raises to $5, next player raises to $10, and then another player makes it $25. Folded around to me and I look down at AA. I announce "raise." The dealer then informs me that the betting is capped and I can only call or fold. I say WTF are you talking about I don't even have chance to raise? A few locals agree with the dealer. They say that there is a limit of 3 raises unless its head up.

Now I know this rule applies to limit games but I have never heard of it used in a NL game. Dealer ends up calling the floor and he says that the rule is posted in the poker room. The problem is that we are playing in the convention hall b/c a tournament is going on and there is no signs with this rule on it so how the hell am I supposed to know this.

Thoughts?

I also think that there might be some ways to use it to your advantage by closing out the betting cheaply with draws.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: NLH rule that limits number of raises?

Yep, thats the rule. Here in Las Vegas it is a bet and 4.
Limit, no-limit, pot limit does not matter.
It is best to ASK what the local room rule is if ever in doubt.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:07 PM

Thanks.....I've played all over and I guess I've just never had it come up before in a NL game.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 PM

Same rule exists here in Alberta as well. Seems somewhat silly, but there it is.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:23 PM

Normally there is no limit to the number of raises in pot limit or no limit. WIth the rapid growth of NL it is being spread a lot of places where they are unfamiliar with the rules and attempt to play by limit rules. This is one of the things you can ask right away to find out if the staff understands NL poker enough to protect the integrity of the game (it isn't that this is a big deal, but there is no way to know what else they don't know).
Old 01-29-2007, 09:25 PM

Under the common/best/preferred/normal/sensible rule there is no limit to the number of raises in no limit holdem. Unless the people making the rules for that cardroom are idiots there is no limit to the numeber of raises. Or sometimes the person interpreting them is just wrong.

This was topic was discussed about a year ago at length on RGP. Do a search on RGP and you will see a number of opinions by people well known in the poker community.

Patty
Old 01-29-2007, 09:36 PM

Can someone give me a link to that thread. I can't find it and am terrible with searching.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Normally there is no limit to the number of raises in pot limit or no limit. WIth the rapid growth of NL it is being spread a lot of places where they are unfamiliar with the rules and attempt to play by limit rules. This is one of the things you can ask right away to find out if the staff understands NL poker enough to protect the integrity of the game (it isn't that this is a big deal, but there is no way to know what else they don't know).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-29-2007, 09:56 PM

I wonder how often this is enforced because of a state gaming agency vs rooms just being stupid.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how often this is enforced because of a state gaming agency vs rooms just being stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good point, I believe when we have had this discussion in the past it was pointed out that the nubmer of raises is limited in AC. If a place in NV or MS has a limit to the number of raises in a NL or PL game that is a lack of experince on management's part. I will point out the Hilton rules had a rule I really like for NL; after the 4th raise all raises must be at least half the pot. The reason for this is two colluders could force a third player to face a series of min raises that he would not call if they were made all at once.