Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 05:42 PM

Default 25nl 68s btn facing donk

No reads. Not been at table too long. He insta-potted the flop and checked turn fast. Think I have to bet the turn, maybe this is check. But, what about flop?

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

CO: $24.30
Hero (BTN): $25.35
SB: $38.15
BB: $26.10
UTG: $50.45
MP: $23.55

Pre-Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.10) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $2.10</font>, Hero calls $2.10

Turn: ($6.30) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.35</font>
Old 10-28-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: 25nl 68s btn facing donk

looks fine to me. were you planning on raising if he led the turn?
Old 10-28-2007, 05:45 PM

This is probably fine - every now and then you see people that auto-pot dryish low flops oop and u basically just have to play back at them.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:47 PM

I love it. I play it the same.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
looks fine to me. were you planning on raising if he led the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]Not any card, I think he has a flush on this board when he leads this turn quite a bit. If he leads to a non-Heart King I probably raise. The problem here is he might never fold a Jack so maybe raising the heart is better..? Except I think he should have a flush a good amount on a heart turn that he leads. So, I mostly fold in that instance.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:45 PM

hm, I'm usually folding this flop but that could be a leak of mine. Interesting hand. I know aba said that he always reraises donk bets against unknowns, but whenever I try that at unl I get 3bet. Maybe a lot of people at unl dont understand the concept of cbets that well yet.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:48 PM

turn bet looks good. Flop not so good. You need better reads of how often he's donking. I don't have a ton of experience with frequent donkbettors (Though I tend to go in raise mode if their doing it all the time).
Old 10-28-2007, 07:04 PM

Raising the flop turns my hand into a bluff, mostly. When he donks I think I have the best hand but little FE against anything but air, which is certainly in his donk range unknown. Against a draw or overcards, he could re-raise or shove if I 3bet and I don't want to get in a huge pot right now. Calling basically to re-evaluate turn. Doing same with QJ, btw. When he checks the heart turn I assume mostly giving up the pot or going for a CR with the nuts. If he calls this bet I am checking behind or folding river bet almost for sure.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising the flop turns my hand into a bluff, mostly. When he donks I think I have the best hand but little FE against anything but air, which is certainly in his donk range unknown. Against a draw or overcards, he could re-raise or shove if I 3bet and I don't want to get in a huge pot right now. Calling basically to re-evaluate turn. Doing same with QJ, btw. When he checks the heart turn I assume mostly giving up the pot or going for a CR with the nuts. If he calls this bet I am checking behind or folding river bet almost for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this. I'm never too wild about calling a bet on the flop with middle pair on this board. It sets up really hard to play turns/rivers.

I meant as a general strategy to the donk bet. When they first start doing it I raise with air probably 20% of the time fwiw.

edit: and I don't like this board for a bluff raise.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:43 PM

i think this guy has a jack i his hand,probably aj, or just a middle pair.i think he is afraid of the flush und the overcard to the jack.when you think he has air or the jack i think he will fold here often enough to your turn bet to make it profitable.would be interesting to see which hand he finally had(or folded)?