Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 06:44 PM

Default KQ in the BB vs UTG raise

Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, 7 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4.4SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2.2BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4.2BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 6.2BB

How bad did I play this? UTG is TAG. I put him on AA or 88-TT. I think he would bet middle pairs to protect. This just smelled like AA AK to me. I think I should just fold this on the turn. What about folding preflop?
Old 02-25-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: KQ in the BB vs UTG raise

After he checks the flop, without any reads about what he would check, call down. You win the most while losing the least.

Some may say fold pre-flop (domination very possible with UTG raiser). Not sure where I sit in that argument.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:02 PM

yeah I dont cold call at all unless its multiway and I get implied odds. However it should be a bit different in the bb, I guess it depends on the odds u re getting. I think its fine to fold KQo there HU vs a tight UTG raiser.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:03 PM

Did you think about b/fing the turn?
Old 02-25-2007, 07:42 PM

So I replayed the hand again and I think it's a bet/fold or even check/fold on the turn. He would bet middle pairs on the flop, in fact he would only check super strong hands like AA AQ AK QQ. What if he calls my bet on the turn? A middle pair would become more likely so I can check/fold on the river since he cant value bet.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:20 PM

I check fold this turn. The flop check is just too fishy, something is usually up.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:04 PM

No continuation bet from the utg tag heads up when checked to? Only very suspicious...
Old 02-25-2007, 10:50 PM

Stop "putting" and start assigning hand ranges. Also realize not all tags are created equal, some actually suck, some have a very wide hand range pre-flop but play ABC post flop.

As the hand played out I think you need to open up the range of hands a bit just in case. I'd Add AK-AJo and KQs. The range is just wide enough that I would play the hand exactly as you did. Don't worry about giving a free card on the turn, within the range there are few hands that will catch up if behind.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 10:57 PM

All other things aside, when a TAG opponent bets this river in a small HU pot, he's betting for value. I do not think he's bluffing (because no worse made hand is going to bet) nearly often enough to justify the river call.

Yeah, yeah...someone's gonna chime in and say that maybe 88/99/JJ bets hoping to get Hero to lay down a weak ace or queen, but 1 in 5 times?

As far as the preflop call, I really don't mind a fold here. You're crushed by a good bit of his range, and the bit that doesn't have you crushed probably doesn't pay you much if you hit. So really, you're just hoping to catch a monster vs. an overpair or TPTK or something, and you just don't have the pot odds to make the call in that case.

FWIW, I do like the flop check (intending to peel) and the turn call (intending to snap off a bluff from an underpair).
Old 02-25-2007, 11:15 PM

I agree with Harv here.

I have come to think that folding KQo pf in the BB, vs. an UTG raiser with a decent range, is the way to go. You are a 2:1 dog pf and will probably have to fold the flop almost 2/3 of the time. The times when you are ahead, you will win very little and the times when you are behind, you will lose the most.