Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Deepstacked without the nuts - 3 hands

My first shot at 200BB NLH tonight. It was fun; I'll probably play some more. Anyway, I find it difficult to play these huge pots without holding the nuts.

HAND 1

Me: Playing very tight. I stacked AA when I hit a set a couple orbits ago. I have made some tough folds in big pots. Haven't gotten a lot of great cards. Kinda playing like a nit.
Villain: No real reads, but my impression is that he is a solid TAG. Only 40 hands, but he's 27/7/3.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.15/$0.30
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $14.35
Hero: $113.90
SB: $72.75
BB: $63.80

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, SB calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($3.6, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2.4</font>, SB calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($8.4, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $13.8</font>, Hero calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($36, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB is all-in $55.05</font>, Hero...?

I'd been inactive for a couple orbits, so I just made a steal from the button, but it got called. I flopped the OESD so I wanted to build the pot and was happy with his call, and even happier when the turn made my straight. Now with a made hand I keep betting on the turn, but get raised! There could be flush draws out, sets drawing to boats, and even the draeded KQ nut stright. I decided its best not to shove, and instead call to make a small valuebet on the river if its not something like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or some other scare card. Happily the river blanks off, but BAM, villain overbets $55 into the $36 pot. WTF, mate?

What do I do????

HAND 2

Me: Nit. Probably coming off as a TAG or weak-tight.
Villain: Again only 40 hands, but this guy's running 40/3/0.5, apparently a LOP.

Full Tilt Poker
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $59
UTG+1: $68.90
Hero: $58.85
Button: $21.90
SB: $18.20
BB: $30.95

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, Button calls, 2 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.95, 3 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3.6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $7.2</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $24.6</font>...

Raises are scary on this board with straights out as well as flush and straight-flush draws. But I hit top set... I felt this, right?

HAND 3

Me: Yeah, you guessed it, a nit. This is probably the only hand all night I limped. Meh.
UTG: is playing every hand and is very aggressive. 50 hands, 78/12/5.
BB: is bad, IMHO. Loose and weak. Likes cheap flops and is running about 72/4/0.7 in 40 hands.

Full Tilt Poker
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $49.40
UTG+1: $53.90
Hero: $59.70
Button: $14.50
SB: $69.80
BB: $14.05

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1.8, 6 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $1.8</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $4</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $12</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises all-in $13.75</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($43.05, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $43.05)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $20</font>, UTG calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($83.05, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $43.05, Sidepot 1: $40)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG is all-in $15.35</font>, Hero calls.

Ignore the river as I hit a backdoor draw from the second nuts to the pure nuts, but how did I play the rest of the hand? Is it OK to play this this fast even though a better straight is out? I figure sets, flush draws and combo draws are also likely. Flop and turn???

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Deepstacked without the nuts - 3 hands

Hand 1 - It's pretty unlikely that he has KQ or Q8, as this could be a set just as well. I probably call this and whine a lot if he called my flop bet with gutshot and got there. I think you see set/2pair here enough to call this.

Hand 2 - Button only has $20, and he's got almost half of it in, I snap-shove.

Hand 3 - Shove the turn, flop is fine. I'll limp with suited aces behind limpers esp. since you're at a 200bb max table.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:02 AM

*bump*

I'd like to hear more opinions.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:38 AM

These seems rather standard to me..
1: have to call
2: have to felt this
3: fine
Old 01-30-2007, 11:56 AM

1. Definately call, 100%. There is no way you can get away from a straight in this position.

2. I'm not familiar with the term 'felt' but if it means muck then I'm surprised. I don't think I have ever folded top set, and I don't intend to. Get all your money in here, if he has a straight then you'll have about 7 outs for a boat (even more by river) I think this can be TP w/ OESD or over pair enough times for this to be profitable.

3. Played it absolutely fine, and by the looks of it got the most value that you possibly could. Bet every single street here, don't look for 56 on the flop either. It will rarely be there.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:39 PM

Hand 1:

I really don't like your turn call. There are so many cards you hate to see on the river (any card that pairs the board, any Q, any 8, possibly any diamond or spade). I'd repop this to $30ish. As played, I snap-call the river, the only thing that beats you is a turned gutshot, and he's not real likely to overbet shove that on the river. And 27/7/3 is nowhere near solid TAG, that's more like slightly loose passive preflop and aggressive post.

Hand 2:

Definitely felt this here, you have top set on an extremely drawy board. T7 and 75 are the only hands you're behind, and you have outs against them. Against a supremely loose-passive player like this I'd actually expect to see slow-played aces or kings here quite often.

Hand 3:

You seriously can't be considering doing anything but trying to get as much money into the pot as possible with all the draws out there when you have the second nuts. Shove that turn, there's less than a PSB behind and you want to charge a club draw / set / two-pair as much as possible.

Edit: Sneds, to felt means to get all your chips to the felt (obviously from live play), in other words, all-in.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not familiar with the term 'felt' but if it means muck then I'm surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the opposite. "Felt" means put all your chips in the pot, so that nothing but the felt table covering is left in front of you.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 PM

TY
Old 01-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Spoiler alert:

Hand 1 he was running a naked bluff with 33. Any [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q, or pair on the board, heck even a K, is terrifying. I though I was smart waiting t get it in, but with hindsight I think you're right, I need to repop on the turn. Hand 2 he had 57 for the straight and I failed to improve. Hand 3 the shortstack had 56 and the other guy had 34. I river goot.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:43 PM

hand 1.
call

hand 2.
call

hand 3.
call

looks like there have been quite a few responses. I'll chip in if my suggestions look unusual.