Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 03:21 PM

Default 5cd hand .25/.50- Dropping the aces...

I think I posted almost this exact same hand pf before but this time I'm in position and have more info due to predraw action.

I'm on the Button with:

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

2 limps to me. I raise it to 4xbb. The sb folds, the BB MINRAISES ME. 2 callers. I call.

BB Draws 1, UTG Draws 2, UTG+1 Draws 1....

I Drop the Ace of Clubs and draw to the flush or straight?

I figure there's at least one set out there, right? So I'm better going for the 12 flush/straight outs, yeah?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: 5cd hand .25/.50- Dropping the aces...

If you don't think your AA might be good here:

I definitely toss the As and draw to the royal. You're a little less than 3:1 against making your hand -- only slightly worse odds than drawing three and hitting Aces-up and considerably better odds than catching trips.

The trick is having a good enough read on your foes to decide whether your pair of aces might already be good. If you think they might, then hold onto them.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:34 PM

yeah, go for the gusto, and i dont think its even close.
if you make your hand, you'll probably have someone leading into you...and a real juicy pot will ensue. easy as pie to drop when you miss, unlike AA-up
...so what happened?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, go for the gusto, and i dont think its even close.
if you make your hand, you'll probably have someone leading into you...and a real juicy pot will ensue. easy as pie to drop when you miss, unlike AA-up
...so what happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

I made my flush. The minraiser led into the pot. One caller. I called (really not sure if a raise is here cause can I call a push?) There was a set and a straight.

I'm not certain about whether or not to raise after the draw considering there was more strength then usual preflop (I see a fair amount of raising but not to much reraising at these tables)
Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not certain about whether or not to raise after the draw considering there was more strength then usual preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

You have about as strong a flush as it's possible to have. BB's predraw minraise smells like a pot sweetner to me -- with two pair he'd either raise more and try to take it down or just call. I'd put him on a straight-flush draw, which means when he leads out postdraw there's a good chance he made a hand that's worse than yours (or he's just bluffing). And you know nobody else made a boat, because if they had, they'd raise, not just call.

So I think a raise makes sense -- you likely have the best hand, and there are plenty of worse hands that'll pay you off.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:45 PM

I aggree with the others.. go for the flush (for the same reasons that I gave in the other post with the same hand).

Additionally, UTG drew 2. He didn't raise coming in.. he could be sacking a set, so you'll need the 2 outter to be ahead. It's easier for you to complete to ur str [sorry, I do this often from net-speak.. if this is annoying to ppl--people--please let me know and I'll try to keep such stuff out of posts [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]] or flush than for him to fill, so I'd go for the complete hand.

However, since UTG did NOT raise, there's actually a good possibility that he has an Ace kicker to a small pair, leaving you drawing slim for your set. For me personally, this is all the more reason to go for the complete hand (str and/or flush).
Old 01-17-2007, 01:13 PM

As a general concept, is it say to say that the more people in a hand the more likely you should go for the stronger hand at the expense of the okay hand you have?

In regards to sandbagging... I have found in my week's experience that there are quite a few players who will limp with 2 pair and sets. (I've even seen someone limp a made hand (a straight) and then check it on the river?!?!?) I don't know what they're thinking since they're not building big pots post flop.

I've almost begun to question the value of raising solitary pairs preflop because there are so many who limp with strong hands and I'm often not narrowing the field.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a general concept, is it say to say that the more people in a hand the more likely you should go for the stronger hand at the expense of the okay hand you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its safe to say that the winning hand will be stronger the more ppl there are...goes for any poker really.